1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Differentiation

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    I'm having some trouble with the following question, it was on a test previously and I haven't been able to figure it out :/

Let V=4*L^3 cm^3, where dl/dt=10*t cm/s. Find dV/dt at t=0.1 second

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Since V is a function of L.

What you can do is use the chain rule and say that

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dL} \times \frac{dL}{dt}[/tex]

4. Jul 2, 2008 #3
    Right, following the chain rule I do get dv/dt=120*L^2, I tried before to get L in terms of t, via integration but of course that gives 5t^2+C whereas C would pose as a problem since I've no way of obtaining it, so I can't get a numerical solution I just get a solution in terms of L...

5. Jul 2, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}=12L^2[/tex]

You don't need L in terms of t when they tell you that [itex]\frac{dL}{dt}=10t[/itex]

6. Jul 2, 2008 #5
    so then this question doesn't have a numerical solution, only one in terms of L?

7. Jul 2, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Is that all the data presented in the question? you don't have the initial length or any length at a particular time?

8. Jul 2, 2008 #7
    that's about it, my first post states out the entire question, no initial values, at all...and thanks by the way.

9. Jul 2, 2008 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well without a length at any particular time, you can't find a numerical solution.

10. Jul 15, 2008 #9
    I would think that as you are given dl/dt and you can work out dv/dl and you are looking for dv/dt

dv/dl [12L^3] dL = 12L^2 dl/dt = 10t

dv/dl x dl/dt... the dl's cancel to leave dv/dt

Wouldn't that be the chain rule?

Perhaps u'v + v'u
    or in this case v't + t'v

NO WAIT!!!!! So much simpler.

Look at it as...

the change in v over the change in time. The change in V is simply 12L^3 , so dv/dt = 12L^3 / dt ( it would seem something is missing as one is not sure the intial time, I would have to assume time began at zero and so dt would be 0.1 s,
    thus dv/dt = 12L^3/0.1 = 120L^3 (I think).

eta: oh I missed he t=0.1 s

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  11. Jul 15, 2008 #10
    Isn't dv/dt the differential of v with respect to t? Then surely the answer shouldnt be given in 'L' Also you have worked out dv/dl not dv/dt

I think the chain rule is needed.

12. Jul 16, 2008 #11

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes that was a typo on my part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?