1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on DNA gel analysis

1. Feb 24, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone, I ran a gel for restriction digestion and used lamda HindIII as the marker. When I'm drawing the graph on a semi-log paper, size on y axis and distance from the well on the x axis, the standard curve isn't a straight line, but a linear curve. Is it fine?

Another question: the smallest digit given on a semi-log graph paper for DNA size is 1, but I've got a 0.5 band and couldn't point it out on the graph. What shall I do? Shall I just ignore this?

Very much appreciated if you could help me solve my problems

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2
    I'm really confused, cos I've learnt that the distance from the well measured should be proportional to the log10 value of the DNA size. And by theory I should have got a straight line or nearly straight, but the curve I've got doesn't seem to be straight at all!

4. Mar 3, 2006 #3
    Anyone can answer my question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?