1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on E gravitational potential , but my doubt is regarding trigonometry more.

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    Re: question on E gravitational potential , but my doubt is regarding trigonometry mo

You'll have to learn basic trigonometry before you can solve the exercise.

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    Re: question on E gravitational potential , but my doubt is regarding trigonometry mo

I have, but this ones kinda proving tough. Maybe the solution is staring at my face but i cant figure it out!

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Hint: draw a horizontal line from the sphere position on the right (the dotted one), to the vertical solid line. Consider the right triangle that this creates.

6. Dec 10, 2011 #5

OMG YES! I told you guys, it probably was staring right in my face. I was thinking more in the terms of forming and isosceles triangle in order to keep the lengths the same, but then again keeping them the same is the problem itself! Thanx a tonne!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook