1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Electric Potential

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider charges placed at the corners of a rectangle. This rectangle is a horizontal rectangle and is .43 m long and .25 m wide. At the upper right corner there is a charge of 7.0 µC. At the bottom right there is a charge of -14 µC. At the bottom left there is a charge of -8.0 µC. At the upper left there is Point P.
    Find the electric potential at point P due to the grouping of charges at the other corners of the rectangle.
    Answer in units of V.

2. Relevant equations
    These may help:
    EP = -qE(omega)d
    PE=kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked the Potential Energy (so I thought) for point P and drew it out. Then I added the results vectorily, yet, I still got it wrong 5 times. If you could help that'd be awesome.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Potential energy is a scalar, not a vector. There is nothing to "draw out". You should just add the kq/r terms for each charge because all that matters is the distance to point P not the direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook