Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question on Electricity

1. Apr 5, 2005 #1
    Is there any difference between the static charges generated by rubbing a glass rod with silk or a rubber rod with cat fur and the charges that flow (from a battery) through wires in an electric circuit? Give evidence for your answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2005 #2
    I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this question, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come in and offer a more detailed answer, but for the mean time,

The charges that develop from the glass/silk & plastic/fur systems are generated from the breaking of the molecules when you rub the two together. ie: when you rub fur on plastic, the molecules in the fibers of the fur split un-evenly, and part of it is left with a net positive charge, and the other is left with a net negative charge (most of the negative pieces stick to the plastic, while most of the positive parts stick to the fur) . For the glass/silk scenario, I'm not sure if its the glass molecules or silk molecules that break, but a similiar situation occurs.

The charged partics that make up the current in the wires between a battery are solely electrons, not broken molecules. (The positive charges ( or nucleons ) do not move).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook