1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Electromagnetism. Specifically to do with speed of an object in a field.

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem is http://imgur.com/bQIFJ

2. Relevant equations

I presume F=BIl and E=Blu.

3. The attempt at a solution

Not very well. I don't really understand how to start the question so if I could get some nudges in the right direction that'd be great. I'm not sure how the speed of the van comes into play here. I gather that I'll have to work out V once for the 38uT field density and then again for the 42uT and get the difference.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2
    Re: Question on Electromagnetism. Specifically to do with speed of an object in a fie

You can find it using E= Bul

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Question on Electromagnetism. Specifically to do with speed of an object in a fie

This is an induction problem - the current induced is proportional to the change in magnetic induction (B) inside the coil.
    http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/InducedEMF.html

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4

I don't think the question has enough information. A loop of wire will not produce any output voltage unless the field is varying. To calculate the output you need the rate at which the field is varying. Vehicle speed plus the two field strengths is not enough to establish the rate of change of the field.

The equation you need is V = - N d(phi)/dt

Do you have a picture/drawing of what this "detector" looks like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook