1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Electron Configuration

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the electron configuration for Ti+2? The answer to this question, from my homework, is [Ar]3d2, but I am not able to figure out why.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I originally thought the configuration was:
    Ti+2 = [Ar]4s2

and not:
    Ti+2 = [Ar]3d2

My reasoning was that if titanium itself, neutrally, is [Ar]4s23d2, then wouldn't, in this cation, taking away 2 electrons be more stable from the 3d sub-shell rather than the 4s sub-shell?

Taking from the 4s sub-shell would leave 2 unpaired electrons in the 3d sub-shell, while taking from the 3d subshell would leave a complete electron pair in the 4s sub-shell, meaning more stability? Or is this thinking invalid?

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    Even though 3d comes after 4s in order of filling the sub-shells, 4s has the higher energy level since n=4, and electron almost always comes out from the outermost energy shell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook