Understanding Equivariant Maps in Group Theory

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
In summary, an equivariant automorphism is one that is also equivariant under the action of the group.
mnb96
Hello,

I have a doubt about equivariant maps in the context of group theory. In particular, if we consider an automorphism of a group G, we would have f(g.h)=f(g).f(h)

I would expect f to be also an equivariant map, but from the definition it wouldn't seem so, because one should have f(g.h)=g.f(h)

Can anyone clarify this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the automorphism is also equivariant ## f(g\cdot h)=f(g)\cdot f(h)=gf(1_{G})f(h)=g\cdot f(h)##

Ssnow said:
If the automorphism is also equivariant ## f(g\cdot h)=f(g)\cdot f(h)=gf(1_{G})f(h)=g\cdot f(h)##

Doesn't that basically prove that the only equivariant automorphism is the identity map f(g)=g ?

If you want that your automorphism will be equivariant you must include this in the definition ...

i never heard of an equivariant map of a group to itself. this concept to me relates to maps of sets on which the group acts. of course a group does act on itself by translation, but it seems this action is not compatible with any homomophism except the identity.

If ##f## is an automorphism of a group then one can define an action by ##g.h## = ##f(g)h##. Since ##f(gh) = f(g)f(h)##, ##f(gh) = g.f(h)##.

More generally groups act on sets. An action satisfies the formal rule: ##(gh).x = g.(h.x)##. This rule says that the action is a homomorphism of ##G## into the group of bijections of ##S##.

##G \rightarrow ## Bijections##(S)##

If ##S## is a group then the action may not only be a group of bijections but it may also be a group of automorphisms. A standard example is the action of a group on itself by conjugation.

In this case,

##G \rightarrow## Automorphisms##(S)##

This is the sense in which an action is usually thought of as being a homomorphism.

Last edited:
I am puzzled Lavinia. It seems to me the fact that f(gh) = g.f(h) does not say f is equivariant for the action g.h = f(g)h. Rather I think one needs that f(g.h) = g.f(h), which would require that f(f(g)h) = f(g)f(h), which is usually false...?

a nice example of an equivariant map in real life is an odd function in calculus like sin, i.e. the group of order 2 acts on the reals by the non trivial element sending x to -x, so equivariance means that f(-x) = -f(x).

mathwonk said:
I am puzzled Lavinia. It seems to me the fact that f(gh) = g.f(h) does not say f is equivariant for the action g.h = f(g)h. Rather I think one needs that f(g.h) = g.f(h), which would require that f(f(g)h) = f(g)f(h), which is usually false...?

a nice example of an equivariant map in real life is an odd function in calculus like sin, i.e. the group of order 2 acts on the reals by the non trivial element sending x to -x, so equivariance means that f(-x) = -f(x).

Maybe you are right. If one defines the action,g.h, to be f(g)h then (kg).h = f(kg)h = f(k)f(g)h = k.(f(g)h) = k.(g.h). If g = id then f(g) = id since f is a homomorphism. What am I missing? Oh. This meant g.f(h) is multiplication by g not by f(g) in order to be equivariant. So f(g.h) would have to be f(f(g).h) which usually does not work. I misunderstood.

I agree the other does not work.

Last edited:
yes, with this definition is equivariant.

1. What is an equivariant map?

An equivariant map is a mathematical function that preserves the symmetry of a space or structure. This means that applying the function does not change the way the space or structure is arranged. In simpler terms, an equivariant map respects the symmetry of the object it is applied to.

2. How is an equivariant map different from a regular map?

An equivariant map is different from a regular map in that it preserves the symmetries of the object it is applied to, while a regular map does not necessarily do so. For example, a regular map may change the orientation or arrangement of the object, while an equivariant map will not.

3. What are some examples of equivariant maps?

Some examples of equivariant maps include rotational and translational maps, which preserve the symmetry of objects under rotation and translation, respectively. Other examples include reflections, scaling, and shearing maps, which preserve the symmetries of objects under reflection, scaling, and shearing, respectively.

4. How are equivariant maps used in scientific research?

Equivariant maps are used in scientific research to study the symmetries of physical systems and structures. They are also used in physics, chemistry, and other fields to understand the behavior of objects and systems under different symmetries. In addition, equivariant maps are used in data analysis and machine learning to identify patterns and symmetries in data sets.

5. What are the benefits of using equivariant maps?

The use of equivariant maps allows for a deeper understanding of the symmetries present in objects and systems. It also allows for more accurate and efficient analysis of data, as it takes into account the symmetries that may be present. Additionally, equivariant maps can be used to simplify complex problems by reducing the number of variables needed to describe a system, making it easier to study and analyze.