Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on equivariant maps

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I have a doubt about equivariant maps in the context of group theory. In particular, if we consider an automorphism of a group G, we would have f(g.h)=f(g).f(h)

I would expect f to be also an equivariant map, but from the definition it wouldn't seem so, because one should have f(g.h)=g.f(h)

Can anyone clarify this issue?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

If the automorphism is also equivariant ## f(g\cdot h)=f(g)\cdot f(h)=gf(1_{G})f(h)=g\cdot f(h)##

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3
    Doesn't that basically prove that the only equivariant automorphism is the identity map f(g)=g ?

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4

Ssnow

Gold Member

If you want that your automorphism will be equivariant you must include this in the definition ...

6. Jan 19, 2016 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i never heard of an equivariant map of a group to itself. this concept to me relates to maps of sets on which the group acts. of course a group does act on itself by translation, but it seems this action is not compatible with any homomophism except the identity.

7. Jan 19, 2016 #6

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If ##f## is an automorphism of a group then one can define an action by ##g.h## = ##f(g)h##. Since ##f(gh) = f(g)f(h)##, ##f(gh) = g.f(h)##.

More generally groups act on sets. An action satisfies the formal rule: ##(gh).x = g.(h.x)##. This rule says that the action is a homomorphism of ##G## into the group of bijections of ##S##.

##G \rightarrow ## Bijections##(S)##

If ##S## is a group then the action may not only be a group of bijections but it may also be a group of automorphisms. A standard example is the action of a group on itself by conjugation.

In this case,

##G \rightarrow## Automorphisms##(S)##

This is the sense in which an action is usually thought of as being a homomorphism.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  8. Jan 20, 2016 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am puzzled Lavinia. It seems to me the fact that f(gh) = g.f(h) does not say f is equivariant for the action g.h = f(g)h. Rather I think one needs that f(g.h) = g.f(h), which would require that f(f(g)h) = f(g)f(h), which is usually false....???

a nice example of an equivariant map in real life is an odd function in calculus like sin, i.e. the group of order 2 acts on the reals by the non trivial element sending x to -x, so equivariance means that f(-x) = -f(x).

9. Jan 20, 2016 #8

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you are right. If one defines the action,g.h, to be f(g)h then (kg).h = f(kg)h = f(k)f(g)h = k.(f(g)h) = k.(g.h). If g = id then f(g) = id since f is a homomorphism. What am I missing? Oh. This meant g.f(h) is multiplication by g not by f(g) in order to be equivariant. So f(g.h) would have to be f(f(g).h) which usually does not work. I misunderstood.

I agree the other does not work.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  10. Jan 22, 2016 #9

Ssnow

Gold Member

yes, with this definition is equivariant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook