1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on flows

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

θ'=1-cosθ If we have the flow starting at θ(0)=A, determine the amount of time, T(A), that it takes to reach θ=pi and what is the leading behavior as A approaches 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, in my book, they give an equation T=2pi/w where w is the velocity of θ'. T means in this equatio the time the flow requires to go a full circle back to the initial point back to 0. Not sure how to use this equation in this case I think they got this equation by saying that θ(t) changes by 2pi meaning the travel distance while in this case the travel distance is pi-A so T=(pi-A)/w but not exactly sure about this. I really need help with this...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By θ' I assume you mean dθ/dt, right? Can you solve that differential equation?

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    Yes, you can write it as you say

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I also asked whether you can solve the DE. I don't understand what you mean by "the velocity of θ' "

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted