Question on FORCE someone me

• Thread starter ecmy-obsez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation is about a catapult investigation involving a pot, elastic band, and clamp. The person is trying to understand why adding more weight in the pot causes it to travel a shorter distance and why pulling the elastic band further causes it to travel a longer distance. The explanation involves Newton's 2nd law and the concept of spring constant, where larger mass leads to less acceleration and increasing the distance the band is stretched leads to a larger force.
ecmy-obsez
k well I've got to do a catapult investigation..ive got a pot and I am suppose to hold it back with an elastic band tied to a clamp and let go and see how far it travels. i know if i add more weight in the pot..it will travel less...but WHY?? i need some explanations..
and also if i pull the elastic band further it will travel more obviously..but i don't know why this is!
can anyone PLEASE help me?? its urgent..thanks a bundle! =) =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Applying a force to an object causes it to accelerate, Newton's 2nd law gives
F=ma
So for a fixed force, the acceleration of the object is given by
a=F/m so the larger the mass is, the less its acceleration, and hence it will travel a smaller distance than a smaller mass would.

Now the elastic band when stretched will experience a linear restoring force given by:
F=-kx, where k is a SPRING CONSTANT, and x is the distance "stretched", don't worry about the negative sign for this case.
Now from here you can see the further you pull the band back, i.e. increase x, the larger the force will be.

Hope this helps

Ray

What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and is capable of causing a change in the motion of an object.

How can someone force me to do something?

There are many ways someone can force you to do something, such as physical coercion, threats, manipulation, or using authority or power over you.

Is it ethical to force someone to do something?

It depends on the situation and the intention behind the force. Generally, forcing someone to do something against their will is considered unethical and can be a violation of their rights.

What are the consequences of forcing someone to do something?

The consequences of forcing someone to do something can vary, but they may include resentment, distrust, and damaged relationships. In extreme cases, it can also lead to legal consequences or harm to the person being forced.

How can I resist someone trying to force me to do something?

You can resist by setting boundaries, communicating your discomfort or refusal, seeking support from others, or removing yourself from the situation. It is important to prioritize your safety and well-being in these situations.