Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Function Notation

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer to this forum! I've been having particular difficulty lately with understanding function notation in higher level mathematics. I felt like it was a general post so I posted in the general math section. I've finished calculus 3 and am going to take engineering math (basically ODE and applications) next spring.

It is my understanding that for a three dimensional function, for example an elliptic paraboloid, it's written like:

f(x,y)= z =x2+y2

However, after looking at Paul's Online Notes on ODE here, he starts to describe Newton's Second Law as a differential equation. I knew that, but his notation threw me off:

eq0006MP.gif

Is force in this case a three dimensional function, due to force being a function of the derivative of velocity while velocity is a function of time? Just confused.

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I don't know if it is helpful to refer to the function as being 3-dimensional , or functions

being n-dimensional. Strictly speaking, the graph is 2-dimensional, but it lives

in 3-dimensional space. In the sense of F(t,v) , you can say that F depends on two

parameters, and, if you were to graph force using axes for t,v the (two-dimensional)

graph would live in 3-D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook