1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Gauss's Law

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge of 9 pC is uniformly distributed
    throughout the volume between concentric
    spherical surfaces having radii of 1.8 cm and
    3.8 cm.

Let: Ke = 8.98755 × 109 N · m2/C2 .
    What is the magnitude of the electric field
    2.9 cm from the center of the surfaces?
    Answer in units of N/C

2. Relevant equations
    Electric Flux: (Ie) = E*A = q/epsilon
    Electric Field: E = Ke*q/r^2

where A = Surface Area of gaussian sphere, and epsilon is a constant = 8.8542e-12

3. The attempt at a solution
    My approach to this problem was assuming their was an inner charge at the center, which I labeled q. To start I used the formula for net flux Ie (electric flux) = E*A = q/epsilon. I neglected the outer sphere completely and used the principle that E (the electric field) is the electric field just outside the conductor and let that equal the charge given in the problem, and epsilon is a constant equal to 8.8542e-12, and A is the surface area of the inner sphere of radius .018m.

E = 9 pC (9e-12)
    A = 4pi*r^2 = .004071504079
    q = ?
    epsilon = 8.8542e-12

Solved for q (my theoretical inner charge)

I used this equation to find my theoretical inner charge of the inner sphere (q) and then applied the generic formula for an electric field at a point P created by a charge q, E = Ke*q/r^2 to solve for the Electric field at P(a distance r from q).

Ke = 8.98755e+9
    q = 3.244492027e-25 (answer from first part)
    r = .029m

Using this approach I came out with E=3.467304913e-12, which needless to say, was incorrect. I feel I may have overcomplicated this problem and am approaching it incorrectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you formulate Gauss' Law?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook