1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Gauss's law

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    This is not a homework question.

I'm just having trouble understanding when it's appropriate to apply Gauss's law or not, and under what conditions does it fail.

For example, suppose I have two point charges forming a dipole. If I draw a cylinder around them, then the total charge enclosed is zero, implying that the field is zero.

However, this is obviously not true for a dipole.

So would I be using Gauss's law incorrectly in this case, or does it not applying to discontinuous charge distributions, or what?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2
    No, it implies that the closed surface integral of a certain projection of the electric field is zero. Not that the field is zero at each point on the enclosing surface.

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Gauss's Law would say ##\oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{S} = 0##. This means the electric flux into a volume is balanced by the electric flux out of the volume. It doesn't mean ##\vec{E}=0##, which would mean there is no electric flux at all into or out of the volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook