1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Gradient

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    If ##\vec F(x'y'z')## is function of ##(x'y'z')##. ##\nabla## is operator on ##(x,y,z)##.

So:
    [tex]\nabla\left[\vec F(x'y'z') g(x,y,z)\right]=(\vec F(x'y'z') \nabla g(x,y,z)[/tex]
    or
    [tex]\nabla(\vec F g)=\vec F \nabla g[/tex]

Am I correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is g(x,y,z) a scalar function?

ehild

4. Aug 15, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Such tasks are most easily solved using the (Euclidean) Ricci calculus. Your question would read
    [tex]\vec{\nabla} \vec{F} g(\vec{x})=\partial_i(F_i g)=F_i \partial_i g=\vec{F} \cdot \vec{\nabla} g,[/tex]
    where [itex]\vec{F}=\text{const}[/itex], i.e., independent of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex].

5. Aug 15, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if x', y', z' and x, y, z are independent variables, that is correct.

6. Aug 15, 2013 #5
    Yes.

7. Aug 15, 2013 #6
    Thanks everyone, I just need to confirm this. I am not a math major, I just encountered all sort of math issues when I am studying antenna theory. This and Electromagnetics really put vector calculus through the ringer!!! I am sure I'll be posting many more of these kind of stupid questions.

Thanks

8. Aug 15, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would only be correct if you define what you mean by the product ##\vec{A}\vec{B}## for vectors ##A = \vec{F}(x',y',z')## and ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla}g(x,y,z)##. Presumably, you mean the outer product, which gives a 3x3 matrix with ##\vec{A}\vec{B}_{i,j} = a_i b_j.## (Of course, ##\vec{F}## could be a vector or other than 3 dimensions, so the matrix could be non-square.)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  9. Aug 15, 2013 #8
    g is only a scalar function of (x,y,z).

10. Aug 15, 2013 #9

lurflurf

Homework Helper

^Yes but F and ∇g are vectors so F∇g is the dyad product of F and ∇g.

11. Aug 15, 2013 #10
    But my original question is
    [tex]\nabla(\vec F g)=\vec F \nabla g[/tex]

It's only after the gradient that it become a vector ##\nabla g##, not before.

That actually raise a funny question. If the result is ##\vec F \nabla g##, what is this? A vector multiplying a vector?

12. Aug 16, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a tensor product. It's an object with two indices.

13. Aug 16, 2013 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, we all know that g is a scalar function.

However, the question is whether or not YOU realize the issues. These are: (1) what do you mean by asking for the gradient of a vector function---that is, what do you mean by ##\vec{\nabla}\vec{G}?##; and (2) what do you mean by the product of two vectors that you wrote, namely, ##\vec{A} \vec{B},## where ##\vec{A} = \vec{F}(x',y',z')## and ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla} g(x,y,z)?##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted