Gradient: \vec F(x'y'z') & g(x,y,z) - Am I Correct?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary: You have received several responses so far, but you have not replied to any of them. In summary, the product of the gradient of a scalar function g and a vector function F is not well-defined unless you specify what you mean by the product.
yungman
If ##\vec F(x'y'z')## is function of ##(x'y'z')##. ##\nabla## is operator on ##(x,y,z)##.

So:
[tex]\nabla\left[\vec F(x'y'z') g(x,y,z)\right]=(\vec F(x'y'z') \nabla g(x,y,z)[/tex]
or
[tex]\nabla(\vec F g)=\vec F \nabla g[/tex]

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is g(x,y,z) a scalar function?

ehild

Such tasks are most easily solved using the (Euclidean) Ricci calculus. Your question would read
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \vec{F} g(\vec{x})=\partial_i(F_i g)=F_i \partial_i g=\vec{F} \cdot \vec{\nabla} g,[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{F}=\text{const}[/itex], i.e., independent of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
yungman said:
If ##\vec F(x'y'z')## is function of ##(x'y'z')##. ##\nabla## is operator on ##(x,y,z)##.

So:
[tex]\nabla\left[\vec F(x'y'z') g(x,y,z)\right]=(\vec F(x'y'z') \nabla g(x,y,z)[/tex]
or

Am I correct?
Yes, if x', y', z' and x, y, z are independent variables, that is correct.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Is g(x,y,z) a scalar function?

ehild

Yes.

Thanks everyone, I just need to confirm this. I am not a math major, I just encountered all sort of math issues when I am studying antenna theory. This and Electromagnetics really put vector calculus through the ringer! I am sure I'll be posting many more of these kind of stupid questions.

Thanks

yungman said:

So:
or

Am I correct?

You would only be correct if you define what you mean by the product ##\vec{A}\vec{B}## for vectors ##A = \vec{F}(x',y',z')## and ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla}g(x,y,z)##. Presumably, you mean the outer product, which gives a 3x3 matrix with ##\vec{A}\vec{B}_{i,j} = a_i b_j.## (Of course, ##\vec{F}## could be a vector or other than 3 dimensions, so the matrix could be non-square.)

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You would only be correct if you define what you mean by the product ##\vec{A}\vec{B}## for vectors ##A = \vec{F}(x',y',z')## and ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla}g(x,y,z)##. Presumably, you mean the outer product, which gives a 3x3 matrix with ##\vec{A}\vec{B}_{i,j} = a_i b_j.## (Of course, ##\vec{F}## could be a vector or other than 3 dimensions, so the matrix could be non-square.)

g is only a scalar function of (x,y,z).

^Yes but F and ∇g are vectors so F∇g is the dyad product of F and ∇g.

lurflurf said:
^Yes but F and ∇g are vectors so F∇g is the dyad product of F and ∇g.

But my original question is

It's only after the gradient that it become a vector ##\nabla g##, not before.

That actually raise a funny question. If the result is ##\vec F \nabla g##, what is this? A vector multiplying a vector?

yungman said:

That actually raise a funny question. If the result is ##\vec F \nabla g##, what is this? A vector multiplying a vector?

It's a tensor product. It's an object with two indices.

yungman said:

Yes, we all know that g is a scalar function.

However, the question is whether or not YOU realize the issues. These are: (1) what do you mean by asking for the gradient of a vector function---that is, what do you mean by ##\vec{\nabla}\vec{G}?##; and (2) what do you mean by the product of two vectors that you wrote, namely, ##\vec{A} \vec{B},## where ##\vec{A} = \vec{F}(x',y',z')## and ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla} g(x,y,z)?##

1. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that represents the rate of change of a function in multiple dimensions. It is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function and has a magnitude equal to the slope of the function at that point.

2. How is the gradient represented?

The gradient is typically represented using the symbol ∇ (nabla) followed by the function it is acting on, such as ∇f. In this case, the gradient is represented as ∇F for the vector field F and ∇g for the function g.

3. What is the relationship between the gradient and the function?

The gradient is closely related to the function as it represents the directional derivative of the function at a given point. This means that the gradient gives us the direction and magnitude of the change in the function at that point.

4. What does the notation \vec F(x'y'z') & g(x,y,z) mean?

This notation means that we are considering the vector field F and the function g in three dimensions, with x, y, and z representing the three axes. The notation (x'y'z') indicates that the gradient is being calculated at a specific point (x',y',z').

5. What is the significance of the gradient in science?

The gradient is an important concept in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to understand how a function changes in multiple dimensions and is used in many applications, such as optimization, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism.