Question on graphing potential

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the potential from a point charge and potential difference, and applying this knowledge to solve a problem involving two spheres. The person tried to use the point charge approach to determine the correct graph, but was confused about why the potential becomes 0 at 2a. It was explained that this is because Gauss's Law states that the net electric field outside the two spheres is greater than 0. This helps to understand why the correct answer is D.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that potential from a point charge equals kq/r and that potential difference equals - (integral of)(E dot dl)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to approach this problem using the point charge approach by comparing the relative values of kq/r for each sphere and then guessing which graph works from there.

I understand why there is the same potential from 0 < r < a for the right answer D, but I do not understand why the potential becomes 0 at 2a as we at 2a get a negative potential from the outer sphere that is much larger than that of the potential contributed by the inner sphere as we get infinitely closer and closer to the outer sphere, meaning that the potential should have a vertical asymptote at 2a with it becoming more negative (such as in C).

Could anyone please explain why this is the case with D being the right answer? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an electric field in the region outside the two spheres? What does Gauss's Law have to say about this?

Gausses law says that the net electric field with radius greater than 2a is greater than 0, so that explains why there is a zero net electric field.

I see now why D is the right answer, thanks very much

What is graphing potential?

Graphing potential is a way to visually represent the relationship between two variables or factors. It is often used in scientific research to analyze and interpret data.

How do I create a graph of potential?

To create a graph of potential, you will need to plot the values of your two variables on a coordinate plane and connect them with a line or curve. You can use software such as Excel or Google Sheets to easily create a graph.

What are the benefits of graphing potential?

Graphing potential allows for a better understanding of the relationship between two variables. It also makes it easier to identify patterns and trends in the data, which can aid in making predictions and drawing conclusions.

What types of graphs are used for graphing potential?

The most common types of graphs used for graphing potential are line graphs, scatter plots, and bar graphs. The type of graph chosen will depend on the type of data being analyzed and the purpose of the graph.

How can I interpret a graph of potential?

To interpret a graph of potential, you should first look at the variables being represented and the scale of the graph. Then, analyze the shape and direction of the plotted points to determine the relationship between the variables. It is also important to consider any outliers or trends in the data.