Can Graphite Be Used as a Vibration Sensor?

In summary, the graphite in a pencil lead does not work well as a vibration sensor because it does not return to its original resistance state after being strained or vibrated.
Jayden
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I am not so sure where to post my question..

My first question, is graphite capable on detecting vibration?

I'm currently doing my Final Year Project, trying to investigate on graphite compound. I using the graphite from the pencil lead and sketch it on a piece of paper, and trying to adapt the varies in resistivity behaviour upon any strain applied on the paper sheet.

Somehow I found that the graphite resistance will keep changing overtime and it does not return to its original state.. And when there's vibration or strain apply on it, the changes of resistance is not much..So I wonder I had mistaken the overall structure or graphite just doesn't work in this way..

Any expert here has any suggestion or advices for me...? I really need some help here..

Physics news on Phys.org
My first question would be: how are you measuring the resistance?
My second is: how is the graphite applied to the paper?
My third is: have you been tracking the relative humidity as the experiments are done?

And a comment: pencil lead is not pure graphite; it is a finely ground mixture of graphite and clay.
See http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/science-questions/question465.htm

I measure the graphite by sketching a surface area of graphite using pencil lead on the paper, then protect it using tape to avoid the changes in its density due to relative humidity.
Later on i try to apply strain or any vibration on my paper sheet to determine the graphite piezoresistive effect..

It is probably not stable in the long term, but apparently is the basis for making a usable sensor. You might be able to improve on your technique, take a look at what others have been doing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22778664

NascentOxygen said:
It is probably not stable in the long term, but apparently is the basis for making a usable sensor. You might be able to improve on your technique, take a look at what others have been doing: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22778664

I actually reviewed from here, and I try doing the same things..but it doesn't work well..my graphite resistance doesn't go back to its original state. Today I measure the value was 100k but tomorrow it was like 200k or more..

Jayden said:
I actually reviewed from here, and I try doing the same things..but it doesn't work well..my graphite resistance doesn't go back to its original state. Today I measure the value was 100k but tomorrow it was like 200k or more..
Yes, but maybe it is usable in the very short term? Say, 20 secs apart? Over longer periods the paper fibres may swell or contract with humidity changes, causing the overlying layers of carbon to change.

I'm theorizing here, haven't investigated this myself.

Hmm.. If i construct it in a way that the paper and graphite is protected from the relative humidity. Will it be possible to last longer? Let's say it's operating in a vacuum or what?

I attachment my paper-based graphite sensor on a vibration plate, i found that it didn't not manage to achieve a stable outcome. Meanwhile, the reaction towards vibration was too random, and it takes very long time for the resistance in graphite to go back to its original value.. I wonder any expert here have solution for graphite sensor? more useful to detect vibration.

What is graphite material?

Graphite material is a form of carbon that is composed of layers of hexagonal rings. It is a soft, black, and flaky solid that is commonly used in pencils and as a lubricant for machinery.

How is graphite material formed?

Graphite material is formed from the metamorphosis of carbon-containing rocks over millions of years. The intense heat and pressure cause the carbon atoms to rearrange into layers, resulting in the formation of graphite.

What are the properties of graphite material?

Graphite material has a high melting point, low density, and good thermal and electrical conductivity. It is also chemically inert and has a slippery texture, making it a useful lubricant.

What are the main uses of graphite material?

The most common use of graphite material is in pencils, where it is used as the writing core. It is also used in the production of steel and other metals, as a lubricant in machinery, and in the production of lithium-ion batteries.

Is graphite material harmful to health?

No, graphite material is not harmful to health. It is considered to be non-toxic and non-reactive, making it safe for everyday use. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of graphite dust may cause respiratory issues in some individuals.