Why does the total energy in a satellite's orbit change when it loses control?

• Thread starter qazxsw11111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitation
In summary, the total energy of a satellite in a circular orbit is -GMm/2r. When the satellite loses control and heads towards the Earth, the total energy remains constant in a closed system. The potential energy of the satellite is converted into kinetic energy as it falls towards the Earth. This results in a decrease in r, causing the total energy to become more negative. However, the total energy remains constant and does not change according to r. The change in orbit is due to external forces, such as rocket engines or collisions with other objects.
qazxsw11111
Hi everyone. I know about the equations of gravitation but something is still bothering me.

The equation for total energy of a satellite in an orbit is -GMm/2r

However, when the satellite suddenly lose control and heads to the Earth, why does the total energy in the system change according to r? Excluding air resistance of course... I always thought in a closed system, total energy remains constant? I am quite blur and my teacher just asked us to memorize the eqns.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the potential energy of the satellite is converted to its kinetic energy when it starts falling towards the Earth ... its potential gets lesser and lesser as r decreases i.e. as it falls towards the Earth ...

experts, please correct me if i am wrong, I am not very sure abt my answer :)

HMS said:
I think the potential energy of the satellite is converted to its kinetic energy when it starts falling towards the Earth ... its potential gets lesser and lesser as r decreases i.e. as it falls towards the Earth ...

experts, please correct me if i am wrong, I am not very sure abt my answer :)

We are talking about total energy here.

My best guess (another theory!haha) is that the Earth AND the Object is the system. But it still does not make sense as both objects are moving closer to each other (although distance moved by Earth is negligible), both are losing total energy... Why is there energy loss? I am still confused

qazxsw11111 said:
The equation for total energy of a satellite in an orbit is -GMm/2r
That's the total energy (kinetic plus potential) of a satellite in a circular orbit, where r is the radius of that orbit.

However, when the satellite suddenly lose control and heads to the Earth, why does the total energy in the system change according to r?
It doesn't.
Excluding air resistance of course... I always thought in a closed system, total energy remains constant?
Correct--the total energy remains constant.

So when it changes orbit, energy levels will follow the eqn -GMm/2r. When r is decreased (go to a lower orbit), -GMm/2r becomes more negative. So there is an energy difference. But where does the difference go?

Just another question (unrelated to this qn), when gravitational potential is 0 is gravitational field strength zero. I have a hunch that it isn't and cannot explain why or think up another example to support it. Anyone?

If you neglect friction why would the satellite change its orbit?

What do you mean by "lose control"?
If the orbit is changed on purpose then there is a force acting on the satellite (produced by the rocket engines).
Or the satellite may collide with something else - again external force.

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is commonly known as the force of attraction between two objects.

2. How does gravitation work?

Gravitation is explained by Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between gravitation and gravity?

Gravitation is the force of attraction between two objects, while gravity is the natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are brought towards one another. Gravity is a result of gravitation.

4. How does the mass of an object affect gravitation?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of attraction it will have on other objects. This is because according to Newton's law of universal gravitation, force is directly proportional to mass.

5. Can the force of gravitation be measured?

Yes, the force of gravitation can be measured using a device called a gravimeter. It measures the gravitational pull on an object and can also be used to measure the density of the Earth's crust.