Question on Gravity Keplers Laws?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Kepler's laws and the equation for objects in free fall to calculate the initial acceleration of an object dropped from a certain height above the surface of the Earth. The key point is to use the distance from the center of the Earth and choose the correct value for the gravitational constant G. After making the necessary adjustments, the correct answer of 1.09 is obtained.
++A++
Question on Gravity Keplers Laws?

An object is dropped from a height of 1.27E+7m above the surface of the earth. What is its initial acceleration?

I thought I could use the equation for objects near the surface of the Earth in free fall which is :
g (or a) = GM / R^2
But this doesn't give me the right answer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
You didn't use R=1.27E+7m, did you?
In that case, you'll get the wrong answer..

To give you a hint:
The "R" in the gravitation law is the DISTANCE FROM THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.

Becareful about what value you use for G.
The gravitational constant G comes in many flavors depending on your units.
You've used meters to represent the radius, and I'm not sure if you're expressing mass in g, kg, or Earth masses. So make sure you pick the right G, or convert your units for use with the G that you're using.

I got it! I added the Earth's radius (6.37E+6) to the radius above the Earth's surface and used it in my equation to get the right answer (1.09). Thank you very much for the help!

1. What is Kepler's First Law of Planetary Motion?

Kepler's First Law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that all planets in our solar system move in elliptical orbits with the Sun at one focus.

2. How does Kepler's Second Law explain the speed of planets?

Kepler's Second Law, also known as the Law of Equal Areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the Sun will sweep out equal areas in equal amounts of time. This explains why planets move faster when they are closer to the Sun and slower when they are farther away.

3. What is the significance of Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Harmonic Law, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This law allows us to calculate the orbital period of a planet based on its distance from the Sun.

4. What is the difference between Kepler's laws and Newton's laws of motion?

Kepler's laws describe the motion of planets in our solar system, while Newton's laws of motion explain the behavior of all objects in the universe. Kepler's laws were based on observations of planetary motion, while Newton's laws were derived from mathematical principles.

5. How do Kepler's laws support the theory of gravity?

Kepler's laws provide evidence for the existence of gravity and how it affects the motion of planets. The elliptical orbits of planets can only be explained by the gravitational pull of the Sun, as described by Newton's law of universal gravitation.