1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on homogeneous linear systems

1. Sep 5, 2005 #1

I have a homework question that I dont really understand what they are asking.

The book I am using is terrible so I was hoping someone could shed some light.

Give a geometric explanation of why a homogeneous linear system consisting of two equations in three unknowns must have infinitely many solutions. What are the possible numbers of solutions for a nonhomogeneous 2 x 3 linear system? Give a geometric explanation of your answer.

If anyone could help me on this I would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2005 #2
    2 equations in 3 unknown must have infinitely many solutions, because the only way you could have one singular solution is to have 3 equations for each unknown...
    i think that there's some matrix(or is it determinant?) formula (i forgot what it's called, because it's been a long time since i've touched that...) that you can you use to prove...
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  4. Sep 5, 2005 #3
    or you could draw pictures of the planes in space, and find out that there are infinitely many solutions...
  5. Sep 5, 2005 #4
    Well let's say you reduce it to the form:

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & 0 & a & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & b & 0\end{array}\right][/tex]

The general solution is then:

[tex]x_3\begin{bmatrix}-a \\ -b \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

...which has a solution for each value of [itex]x_3[/itex].
  6. Sep 5, 2005 #5

Ok I think I understand the homogeneous part of the question. Can anyone help on the nonhomogeneous part?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?