Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on imm files

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    Hi Guys!,

I have heard that imm files are image files and that each such file is preceded by a time stamp header file of 1024 kB (kilobytes), is this always the case?
    Also what is this time stamp ( or just header) file ? What information does it include about the corresponding image file and where exactly is this header file situated and how to access it.

So many questions! But really appreciate if someone can answer them all.

Thanking in advance

Pingona

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the context of your question? What is the application? What are these files used for?

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Nuwan. File extensions (or files types) are operating system dependant and not necessarily unique. In windows the most common association of ".imm" files is the email client "incredimail".

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4
    The application is image processing. We use the images ( in *.imm format) from a CCD camera and analyze them to reproduced results that are related to X ray scattering.

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

In the case of a lesser-known file format such as this, I'd contact the camera manufacturer and see if they can provide a file format specification that yells you what is contained. If they won't then they usually at least provide a utility that can extract or allow you to read the pertinent information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook