1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on impulse

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    If I'm given an object with X mass that is moving in one direction at Y velocity, then changes direction and moves at Z velocity, how do I calculate the impulse? Most equations I have are concerned with time intervals; this one is not.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The impulse equals the change of linear momentum.
  4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    = Change of momentum
    = Final momentum - initial momentum
    = mv - mu
    = m(v-u)
    = X (-Z-Y)

Assuming what you are talking about is linear momentum. I would be a lot more complicated and you would have to calculate is as an oblique collision if it were not.
  5. Oct 4, 2006 #4
    say the object moves at 3.6 m/s initially, then gets hit and moves -24.2 m/s in the other direction; m=.41kg

=-8.446 <--is this right?
  6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No, impulse equals change in momentum, which is final minus initial.
  7. Oct 5, 2006 #6
    It is best you don't try to calculate the values of the momentum separately. Just calculate it using the formula I gave. The result you would get will be the sum of the magnitudes, not what you got.
  8. Oct 5, 2006 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The only mistake mikefitz made was not subtracting correctly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?