Understanding Integrands and Their Impact on Integrals: Explained

• Thread starter tranj10
  • Start date
In summary, when integrating a function over a 3D space, the integrand can be thought of as a density function that determines the mass or volume of the region being integrated. In the case of a constant function, the result is simply the volume of the region, while a non-constant function can give varying densities in different directions, leading to different interpretations of the result.
tranj10
I am having trouble understanding or visualizing how the integrand affects the plot of an integral.

So I know that

[itex]\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10} 1 {dx}{dy}{dz} [/itex]

will give you the volume of a 10x10x10 cube. I am wondering what exactly you are getting when you integrate some thing like

[itex]\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10} x^2 {dx}{dy}{dz} [/itex]

or even if the integrand was something like y^2 + z^2

If it is easier to understand what is happening with a single or double integral then I would be happy with an explanation from that.

Physics news on Phys.org
tranj10 said:
I am having trouble understanding or visualizing how the integrand affects the plot of an integral.

So I know that

[itex]\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10} 1 {dx}{dy}{dz} [/itex]

will give you the volume of a 10x10x10 cube.
You might think of the integrand (1) as a function that gives the density at each point the 3D space. If we attach units to this function, say g/cm3, then the result is the mass of a 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm cube whose density is constant.
tranj10 said:
I am wondering what exactly you are getting when you integrate some thing like

[itex]\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10} x^2 {dx}{dy}{dz} [/itex]
You could also think of the integrand here as being a density function define on R3, but the density varies only in the x-direction.
tranj10 said:
or even if the integrand was something like y^2 + z^2

If it is easier to understand what is happening with a single or double integral then I would be happy with an explanation from that.

1. What is an integrand?

An integrand is a mathematical expression or function that is used to calculate the value of an integral. It is the part of the integral that is being integrated.

2. How does the integrand affect the value of an integral?

The integrand plays a crucial role in determining the value of an integral. It determines the shape and behavior of the function being integrated and can greatly impact the final result of the integral.

3. What are some common types of integrands?

Some common types of integrands include polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and rational functions. These are frequently encountered in calculus and can be integrated using various techniques.

4. How can understanding integrands help in solving integrals?

By understanding the behavior and properties of different types of integrands, one can choose the appropriate integration technique and approach to solve a given integral. It also helps in identifying any special cases or patterns that can simplify the integration process.

5. How can changing the integrand affect the integral?

Changing the integrand can have a significant impact on the value of an integral. It can result in a different function being integrated, which can lead to a different solution. It is important to carefully consider the integrand when solving integrals to ensure an accurate result.