1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on integrands

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    I am having trouble understanding or visualizing how the integrand affects the plot of an integral.

So I know that

[itex]\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10} 1 {dx}{dy}{dz} [/itex]

will give you the volume of a 10x10x10 cube. I am wondering what exactly you are getting when you integrate some thing like

[itex]\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10}\int_{0}^{10} x^2 {dx}{dy}{dz} [/itex]

or even if the integrand was something like y^2 + z^2

If it is easier to understand what is happening with a single or double integral then I would be happy with an explanation from that.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You might think of the integrand (1) as a function that gives the density at each point the 3D space. If we attach units to this function, say g/cm3, then the result is the mass of a 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm cube whose density is constant.
    You could also think of the integrand here as being a density function define on R3, but the density varies only in the x-direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook