Inverse Function of Greatest Integer Function in a Given Domain

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the inverse function of a given function, f(x)= x- [x/2], where [.] denotes the greatest integer function. The speaker explains that for a function to be invertible, it must be both one-one and onto. They prove that the given function satisfies this criteria and then proceed to find the inverse function by considering the options of a) not defined, b) x+1, and c) x-1. They conclude that the correct answer is b) x+1 and provide an alternative method for finding the inverse function.
Cookiey

Homework Statement

If f:(2,4)-->(1,3) where f(x)=x-[x/2] (where[.] denotes the greatest integer function), then find the inverse function of f(x).

Homework Equations

(None I believe.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for a function to be invertible, it must be both one-one and onto.

I've checked if the function is one-one by drawing a graph in the given domain. It comes out to be a straight line, and so a line drawn parallel to the x-axis will intersect it at only one place; meaning it is one-one. From the same graph, it's clear that the range equals the codomain, making it onto.

So, the function is definitely invertible.

I don't really know how to proceed in inverting the function. I've tried splitting 'x' into it's integer and fractional parts so I can take [x] common, but that leaves out {x}.

So, I took a look at the three options, namely:
a)not defined
b)x+1
c)x-1

(a) is definitely out, as the function is invertible in the given domain, as proved earlier.

Looking at (b) and (c), I noticed that in the given domain, [x/2] always evaluates to 1, and therefore the answer would be (b), which is the correct answer.

But is there a 'proper' way to do this? A way to work with the greatest integer function in general in a given domain/range?

Thank you for taking the time to read and help me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cookiey said:

Homework Statement

If f:(2,4)-->(1,3) where f(x)=x-[x/2] (where[.] denotes the greatest integer function), then find the inverse function of f(x).

Homework Equations

(None I believe.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for a function to be invertible, it must be both one-one and onto.

I've checked if the function is one-one by drawing a graph in the given domain. It comes out to be a straight line, and so a line drawn parallel to the x-axis will intersect it at only one place; meaning it is one-one. From the same graph, it's clear that the range equals the codomain, making it onto.

So, the function is definitely invertible.

I don't really know how to proceed in inverting the function. I've tried splitting 'x' into it's integer and fractional parts so I can take [x] common, but that leaves out {x}.

So, I took a look at the three options, namely:
a)not defined
b)x+1
c)x-1

(a) is definitely out, as the function is invertible in the given domain, as proved earlier.

Looking at (b) and (c), I noticed that in the given domain, [x/2] always evaluates to 1, and therefore the answer would be (b), which is the correct answer.

But is there a 'proper' way to do this? A way to work with the greatest integer function in general in a given domain/range?

Thank you for taking the time to read and help me!
I don't know that there is a "proper" way to do this. The usual algebraic tricks don't apply because of the greatest integer function in this problem. What you did is more than likely what you were supposed to do.

Mark44 said:
I don't know that there is a "proper" way to do this. The usual algebraic tricks don't apply because of the greatest integer function in this problem. What you did is more than likely what you were supposed to do.

I see! Thank you for replying! :)

Yes, it is true that for [itex]2\le x\le 4[/itex], [itex]1\le x/2\le 2[/itex] so that [itex][x]= 1[/itex]. The problem, then, is simply to find the inverse function to f(x)= x- 1.

The simplest way to find the inverse function of that is to say "f(x) simply subtracts one from x- the opposite of that is to add 1. [tex]f^{-1}(x)= x+ 1[/tex]". A more "algorithmic" method would be two write f(x)= y= x- 1 so the inverse function is given by x= y- 1. Solve for y by adding 1 to both sides and you get, again, [tex]f^{1}(x)= y= x+ 1[/tex].

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical function that "undoes" the action of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) takes an input x and produces an output y, the inverse function f^-1(y) takes the output y and produces the original input x.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can follow these steps:

• Write the function in the form y = f(x)
  • Swap the x and y variables, so the equation becomes x = f(y)
  • Solve for y in terms of x
  • The resulting equation is the inverse function, y = f^-1(x)

3. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. In order for a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, meaning that any horizontal line drawn on the graph of the function must intersect the graph only once. This ensures that each input has only one corresponding output, which is necessary for an inverse function.

4. Why do we need inverse functions?

Inverse functions are useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving equations, finding the roots of a function, and performing transformations. They allow us to "undo" a function's action, which can be helpful in solving problems and understanding relationships between variables.

5. Are inverse functions the same as reciprocal functions?

No, inverse functions and reciprocal functions are not the same. Reciprocal functions are of the form f(x) = 1/x, while inverse functions have a specific relationship with another function. However, some reciprocal functions can also be inverse functions, such as f(x) = 1/x and f^-1(x) = x.