1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Kepler's Law

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three identical stars of mass M = 8.9 x 1030 kg form an equilateral triangle that rotates around the triangle's center as the stars move in a common circle about that center. The triangle has edge length L = 2.8 x 1010 m. What is the speed of the stars?

2. Relevant equations
    Kepler's 3rd Law: T^2=(4*π^2/GM)*R^3
    v=2πR/T

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used L to find an expression for R, namely R=L/sqrt(3), since its a equilateral triangle and L one of the sides (this is probably where I went wrong). I then used the two equations above to calculate the speed.
    Now I know that the correct solution to this question is v=(GM/L)^0.5=1.456*10^5,
    can someone pls explain to me why it is so?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Start with the basics: centripetal force being provided by the net gravitational force on any given star in the system.
    upload_2016-4-22_0-36-55.png

4. Apr 22, 2016 #3
    I had m*v^2/R = G*m*3M/R^2, this led me to
    v=sqrt(3GM/R)
    and L=sqrt(3)R, could u tell me where I went wrong?

5. Apr 22, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is the magnitude of the force exerted by (what exactly) in what direction?

6. Apr 22, 2016 #5
    I think this is the force exerted by the three suns and that is towards the centre of the circular orbit?

7. Apr 22, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Each sun is only pulled by two others. But anyway, it looks to me like you calculated the force exerted by a single sun towards itself (GMm/L2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted