Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Lie Algebras

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    Let:

[tex]g_{j}(t)[/tex] be a curve in a group G, which goes through the identity element; g_j(t=0) = identity.

and:

[tex]\xi_{j}=\frac{d}{dt}g_{j}(t)\right|_{t=0}[/tex]

We know that:

[tex]\xi_{j}{\in}Lie(G)[/tex]

Why can we say:

1) [tex]hg(t)h^{-1}[/tex] (h is an element of the Group)

is also a curve in the group, which goes through the identity element, ie. g(t=0)=identity? [As an aside - how would you even go about doing this transformation - I mean if g(t) is a curve (for example g(t)=2t+4t^3), how can you combine this function with h and h^-1, which are, say, SU(2) matrices?]

2) [tex]g_{2}(t)\xi_{1}g_{2}(t)^{-1}{\in}Lie(G)[/tex]?

I mean, these look a bit like similarity transformations - can someone clarify why these statements are true?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do mean g_j(t = 0) = identity?
    As a function, the curve g_j in the group G maps what set to what set?

As a function, g(t) = 2t+4t^3 maps what set to what set?

4. Dec 23, 2009 #3
    yes (i have corrected OP)

I am not sure if g_j is a map as such. Infact the definition of g_j(t) is very loose - it is any curve that simply goes through the identity of the group.

Well, from parameter t to the function g(t), but the parameter is arbitrary, it doesn't matter what it is (with the exception of the constraint mentioned in the OP that d/dt og it evaluated at t=0 must be the tangent space to G at the identity)

5. Dec 23, 2009 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A curve in a set S is a function from an interval of the real numbers into S, so if g is a curve in a Lie group G, then so is [itex]t\mapsto hg(t)h^{-1}[/itex] (since g(t) and h are both members of G).

An expression like [itex]gAg^{-1}[/itex] where g is a member of the Lie group and A is a member of the Lie algebra clearly makes sense if we're dealing with a group of matrices (because then g and A are both matrices). If the Lie group isn't a matrix Lie group, then we can still make sense of it, by defining that notation to mean

[tex]\lambda_g_*\rho_{g^{-1}}_*A[/tex]

where [itex]\lambda_g[/itex] is left multiplication by g and [itex]\rho_{g^{-1}}[/itex] is right multiplication by [itex]g^{-1}[/itex]. Look up "pushforward" or "push-forward" if you don't know what the * means.

6. Dec 23, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the reply.

Okay, I am convinced that:

[tex]
    g_{2}(t)\xi_{1}g_{2}(t)^{-1}{\in}Lie(G)
    [/tex]

May I ask a few more questions: why is it also the case that:

[tex]
    [g_{2}(t)\xi_{1}g_{2}(t)^{-1}-\xi]{\in}Lie(G)
    [/tex]

and can someone please explain these statements:

"by smoothness

[tex]
    \underbrace{lim}_{t\rightarrow0}\frac{1}{t}[g_{2}(t)\xi_{1}g_{2}(t)^{-1}-\xi]{\in}Lie(G)
    [/tex]

this implies that [tex][\xi_{1},\xi_{2}]{\in}Lie(G)[/tex]"

Thanks.

7. Dec 23, 2009 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because a Lie algebra is a vector space, and vector spaces are always closed under addition. If x and y are members of a vector space V, then so is x-y=x+(-y).

What does the underbrace thing mean? Is it just a limit or something else? And what does "this" refer to? Ah, is it a new sentence, so it refers to the sentence before it? An uppercase T would have helped. I think they mean that the smoothness of the function

[tex]\phi=\lambda_{g_2(t)}\circ\rho_{g_2(t)^{-1}}[/tex]

implies that its pushforward is a map from [itex]T_eG[/itex] into [itex]T_{\phi(e)}G=T_eG[/itex], i.e. from [itex]\mathfrak g[/itex] into [itex]\mathfrak g[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook