Understanding Limits at Infinity and Non-Existence of Derivatives

In summary, this problem asks you to find a differentiable function that has a horizontal tangent at infinity, but the slope doesn't get close to 0. The function you came up with is a sinusoid with an amplitude that decreases as x approaches ∞ but oscillates more and more rapidly as x approaches ∞.
matts0

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I am just new to this forum and also a beginner at calculus.
I have a question from my textbook. It's:
Find an example of f(x) that satisfies the following conditions :
f(x) is differentiable for all x>0;
limx->∞f(x) =2;
limx->∞f'(x) does not exist;

I think that if f(x) satisfies the second condition it must have a horizontal tangent at infinity,which means f'(x) = 0 at infinity, am I right? and what does "f'(x) does not exist" really mean?
Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
matts0 said:

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I am just new to this forum and also a beginner at calculus.
I have a question from my textbook. It's:
Find an example of f(x) that satisfies the following conditions :
f(x) is differentiable for all x>0;
limx->∞f(x) =2;
limx->∞f'(x) does not exist;

I think that if f(x) satisfies the second condition it must have a horizontal tangent at infinity,which means f'(x) = 0 at infinity, am I right? and what does "f'(x) does not exist" really mean?
Thanks in advance.

You are right about the horizontal asymptote (not horizontal "tangent") of y = 2 as x → ∞. And many graphs you have seen to have the curve "leveling out" as the graph approaches the asymptote, in which case you would have

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}f'(x)=0[/tex]

What you need to do is find an example that has the y = 2 asymptote but the slope doesn't get close to 0, maybe because it "wobbles back and forth", to phrase it informally.

Last edited:
Welcome to the PH Forums !

It doesn't say f'(x) does not exist.

It says limx➙∞f'(x) does not exist.

If you're just beginning Calculus, this problem could be difficult.

You are correct as far as rational functions are concerned.

Try to modify a sine or cosine function, so that its amplitude decreases as x➙∞ , but oscillates more and more rapidly as x➙∞ . If it oscillates rapidly enough, then the derivative may oscillate with constant or increasing amplitude. Therefore, the limit derivative will not converge as x➙∞ .

See the image of a graph of such a first derivative, f'(x).
attachment.php?attachmentid=39296&stc=1&d=1317059429.gif
...Plotted in WolframAlpha.

Attachments

• wolframalpha-plot-sin-x2overx.gif
    wolframalpha-plot-sin-x2overx.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 558
Actually I confused "tangent" with "asymptote"... Thanks for the help from both of you.

So, what did you come up with for f(x) ?

I came up with this :
f(x)=2+sin(x3)/x
so f'(x) = sin(x3)/x2-3cos(x3) and it is not stable at infinity because of cos(x3),right?
Please tell me if it is ok or not. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.I should have done more exercises.
and also thanks for introducing WolframAlpha to me. That's really helpful.

1. What does "limit at infinity" mean in mathematics?

The "limit at infinity" refers to the behavior of a mathematical function as the input values approach infinity. It is used to describe the ultimate value or behavior of a function as the input values become larger and larger.

2. How do you evaluate the limit at infinity of a function?

To evaluate the limit at infinity, you can use the following steps:

1. Determine the highest degree of the function's numerator and denominator.
  2. If the degree of the numerator is larger, the limit is positive or negative infinity depending on the leading coefficient.
  3. If the degree of the denominator is larger, the limit is zero.
  4. If the degrees are equal, divide the leading coefficients to determine the limit.

3. Can a function have a finite limit at infinity?

Yes, a function can have a finite limit at infinity. This means that as the input values approach infinity, the function approaches a specific finite value. An example of this would be the function f(x) = 1/x, which has a limit of 0 as x approaches infinity.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit at infinity and a two-sided limit at infinity?

A one-sided limit at infinity only considers the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity from one direction, either positive or negative. A two-sided limit at infinity considers the behavior of a function from both directions, positive and negative.

5. How can limit laws be used to evaluate the limit at infinity of a function?

Limit laws, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient laws, can be used to simplify a function and evaluate the limit at infinity. These laws state that the limit of a sum, difference, product, or quotient of two functions is equal to the sum, difference, product, or quotient of the limits of those functions, as long as the limits exist.