Understanding Forces on a Wire in a Magnetic Field: A Guide for Beginners

In summary: For example, if the angle is 90 degrees the force is maximum, and if it is 270 degrees the force is minimum.For the other questions, you will have to use basic trigonometry to work out the values.
lightuplightup
I don't understand this question at all- could someone please help- at least giving me a starting point- thanks

A wire, of length 70cm is placed into a magnetic field of strength 0.001T. If the wire carries a current of 5 amps
1/ Calculate the magnitude of the forces on the wire if it is successively oriented at 900, 550, 350 and parallel to the magnetic field
2/ Draw a graph showing the variation of the force as the angle changes
3/ What will be the shape of the graph if the force is plotted against sin0
4/ Draw a graph of force against sin0

I know for the first one you have to use F=BILsin0 but i don't understand the co-ordinates- what angle am i supposed to use- What does 900, 550 and 350 mean? I think if i get this first bit understood then i will be able to complete the other parts.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lightuplightup said:
I don't understand this question at all- could someone please help- at least giving me a starting point- thanks

A wire, of length 70cm is placed into a magnetic field of strength 0.001T. If the wire carries a current of 5 amps
1/ Calculate the magnitude of the forces on the wire if it is successively oriented at 900, 550, 350 and parallel to the magnetic field
2/ Draw a graph showing the variation of the force as the angle changes
3/ What will be the shape of the graph if the force is plotted against sin0
4/ Draw a graph of force against sin0

I know for the first one you have to use F=BILsin0 but i don't understand the co-ordinates- what angle am i supposed to use- What does 900, 550 and 350 mean? I think if i get this first bit understood then i will be able to complete the other parts.

Thanks

Look, you know that the magnitude of force is maximum and minimum when the angle between the field and current carrying wire is perpendicular and parallel respectively.(when BIL is constant).
So simply put in the values you are given into your formula and there we are.
I'm sure they are meant to be in degrees, and the angle theta is between the magnetic field and wire.

In the formula:

[tex]F=BIL\sin \theta[/tex]

the angle is the smallest angle between the magnetic field vectors (or field lines) and the wire carrying the current.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region around a magnetic material or a moving electric charge in which the force of magnetism acts. It is represented by lines of force that form closed loops around the magnetic material or electric charge.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges or by the intrinsic magnetic dipole moment of elementary particles. In everyday objects, magnetic fields are typically generated by the movement of electrons in atoms or by the alignment of magnetic domains in ferromagnetic materials.

3. What are the properties of a magnetic field?

A magnetic field has three main properties: strength, direction, and polarity. The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). The direction of a magnetic field is indicated by the orientation of the magnetic field lines, which point from north to south. The polarity of a magnetic field refers to the north and south poles and how they interact with each other.

4. How can magnetic fields be used?

Magnetic fields have various practical applications, such as in compasses, motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in industrial processes, such as separating metals from waste materials, and in scientific research to study the properties of materials and particles.

5. How can magnetic fields be measured?

Magnetic fields can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. There are various types of magnetometers, including Hall effect sensors, fluxgate magnetometers, and vibrating sample magnetometers. These devices can measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field and are used in a variety of industries and research fields.