Question on Michelson Morley experiment and length contraction

In summary, the null set of the Michelson Morley experiment can be explained using Length contraction.
ghwellsjr said:
That is exactly what Einstein proposed that any inertial (non-accelerating) observer would do in order to define a Frame of Reference in which that observer would be stationary. But this meant that any other observer or objects moving in that FoR will experience length contraction and time dilation in order that they, too, would measure the round-trip speed of light to be the constant value, c. Do you follow that?

The author of the website has an explanation for that, which doesn't involve length contraction. He claims to have carried out an experiment which shows that a "beam of light" would be displaced by something like 2mm for a path length of 20m, which would then be amplified by "bouncing" the beam back and forth in an interferometer, which, he says, would account for the null result of the MMX; something he says isn't accounted for.

I'll have to have another read of the website just to get a better understanding, before I can discuss it. Like I say, I'm not in a position to scrutinise it to any reasonable degree, hence why I'm trying to fumble my way around to getting a better understanding of the MMX

Physics news on Phys.org
hey guys,

have another [what might seem like a basic] question; it's with regard to the idea that two observers moving relative to each other, who see a flash of light, will both remain at the centre of the expanding sphere; I'm just wondering how this has been tested experimentally?

mangaroosh said:
hey guys,

have another [what might seem like a basic] question; it's with regard to the idea that two observers moving relative to each other, who see a flash of light, will both remain at the centre of the expanding sphere; I'm just wondering how this has been tested experimentally?

First of all, that idea as you reproduce it can easily be misunderstood. According to each measurement system, the observer in rest will remain at the centre of the expanding sphere while the other will not.
That effect follows directly and with necessity from the relativistic effects (length contraction, time dilation and relativity of clock synchronization), which were derived in order to explain how such observations can be possible. Thus, only those effects need to be tested experimentally. And the only thing that could not been tested "directly" so far (because of technical limits) is length contraction.

Indirectly it has been tested by positive time dilation experiments in combination with a variant of the Michelson-Morley experiment that demonstrated that if time dilation is real, then also length contraction must be real (its original purpose was just the opposite).
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy–Thorndike_experiment

harrylin said:
First of all, that idea as you reproduce it can easily be misunderstood. According to each measurement system, the observer in rest will remain at the centre of the expanding sphere while the other will not

but both observers will think that it is they that is at rest won't they?

mangaroosh said:
It doesn't matter what they think, it only matters what they measure, and they both will measure that they are in the center of the expanding sphere of light, even if one (or both) of them are moving with respect to the source and to each other. Obviously, they cannot both be at rest with respect to each other and yet their measurements are identical.

The idea of representing the essential characteristic of the principle of relativity (part of Einstein's first postulate--that every inertial observer will measure the round-trip speed of light to be the same constant value in all directions) is this thought experiment of an expanding sphere of light because it makes it very obvious what that principle is saying. There is an abundance of evidence that every inertial observer measures the speed of light to be the same. My animations are intended to help people understand how length contraction explains this evidence.

mangaroosh said:

Only if they choose their reference systems accordingly. That is an obvious choice but it's not always the most convenient. For example, astronauts (and even the space centre on the Earth) typically think that they are moving.

ghwellsjr said:
It doesn't matter what they think, it only matters what they measure, and they both will measure that they are in the center of the expanding sphere of light, even if one (or both) of them are moving with respect to the source and to each other. Obviously, they cannot both be at rest with respect to each other and yet their measurements are identical.

The idea of representing the essential characteristic of the principle of relativity (part of Einstein's first postulate--that every inertial observer will measure the round-trip speed of light to be the same constant value in all directions) is this thought experiment of an expanding sphere of light because it makes it very obvious what that principle is saying. There is an abundance of evidence that every inertial observer measures the speed of light to be the same. My animations are intended to help people understand how length contraction explains this evidence.

again, thanks for taking the time to go through the explanations, and the animations are very helpful for explaining how length contraction explains the evidence. I suppose the position I'm in is that I am new to most of this, and am trying to develop an understanding of it. That means that things which are experimentally supported appear as assumptions to me, until I understand how the evidence supports the assumption; whereas others, like yourself, who understand the evidence see them not as assumptions but evidentially supported postulates.

At present, I'm just trying to wade through the evidence.

another basic question here guys, but how is time measured in the time dilation experiments? I'm presuming it is some form of a clock; I'm just wondering what kind of clocks they are?

Take three very stable atomic clocks, leave one on the ground, fly one around the world in an easterly direction, fly the other one around the world in a westerly direction, compare their elapsed times when they come back together.

Or the original famous muon half-life experiment which showed that even though they have a relatively short life time, they survive much longer when traveling at very high speeds.

ghwellsjr said:
Take three very stable atomic clocks, leave one on the ground, fly one around the world in an easterly direction, fly the other one around the world in a westerly direction, compare their elapsed times when they come back together.

Or the original famous muon half-life experiment which showed that even though they have a relatively short life time, they survive much longer when traveling at very high speeds.

I know this is a very crude explanation, but am I anywhere near right in the understanding that the, let's say, "tick" of an atomic clock is measured from the detection of microwave emissions of changing electrons, or something along those lines? Is it the emissions as they change energy, or how does it work?

Is it an atomic clock that is used in the muon half-life experiment as well, to measure the decay time?

mangaroosh said:
I know this is a very crude explanation, but am I anywhere near right in the understanding that the, let's say, "tick" of an atomic clock is measured from the detection of microwave emissions of changing electrons, or something along those lines? Is it the emissions as they change energy, or how does it work?
Quite so.
Is it an atomic clock that is used in the muon half-life experiment as well, to measure the decay time?
No, it's the fraction of muons that arrive on Earth that is measured. That together with their speed (nearly c) tells us that they "live" longer.

The first experiments to measure time dilation were done by means of the Doppler effect. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ives–Stilwell_experiment

harrylin said:
Quite so.

No, it's the fraction of muons that arrive on Earth that is measured. That together with their speed (nearly c) tells us that they "live" longer.

The first experiments to measure time dilation were done by means of the Doppler effect. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ives–Stilwell_experiment

cheers.

I have another pretty basic question.

How does a clock measure the property known as time?

I see time more as a system of measurement as opposed to a property to be measured.

mangaroosh said:
I have another pretty basic question.

How does a clock measure the property known as time?
Any device that operates with a repetitive process and provides a mechanism to count those repetitions can be used as a clock.

A metronome is a device that operates with a repetitive process but it lacks a counter mechanism so it is not a clock. Old mechanical clocks had a similar repetitive process but added a counter consisting of gears and dials to keep track of the repetitions. Normally, an actual clock hides the repetitive process and just displays the result of the counter in some convenient manner. A stopwatch provides a mechanism to display elapsed repetitions between two events. A timer is similar in that it counts backwards from a preset number of repetitions and provides an alert when the count reaches zero. A watch provides a mechanism to set it to some arbitrarily established convention for keeping track of absolute time.

When discussing relativity, we often imagine an ideal clock that keeps perfect time such as a light clock where an imagined packet of light energy bounces back and forth between two rigidly fixed mirrors but this is really a metronome because it lacks a counter. It also lacks a mechanism for the light to continue forever so we really need a mechanism to regenerate the light at the location of one mirror. But we imagine that somehow these devicits are taking care of and we don't worry about it.

mangaroosh said:
I see time more as a system of measurement as opposed to a property to be measured.
If you couldn't measure the property of time with some system, then it wouldn't be a characteristic qualifying to be dealt with by science.

ghwellsjr said:
Any device that operates with a repetitive process and provides a mechanism to count those repetitions can be used as a clock.

A metronome is a device that operates with a repetitive process but it lacks a counter mechanism so it is not a clock. Old mechanical clocks had a similar repetitive process but added a counter consisting of gears and dials to keep track of the repetitions. Normally, an actual clock hides the repetitive process and just displays the result of the counter in some convenient manner. A stopwatch provides a mechanism to display elapsed repetitions between two events. A timer is similar in that it counts backwards from a preset number of repetitions and provides an alert when the count reaches zero. A watch provides a mechanism to set it to some arbitrarily established convention for keeping track of absolute time.

When discussing relativity, we often imagine an ideal clock that keeps perfect time such as a light clock where an imagined packet of light energy bounces back and forth between two rigidly fixed mirrors but this is really a metronome because it lacks a counter. It also lacks a mechanism for the light to continue forever so we really need a mechanism to regenerate the light at the location of one mirror. But we imagine that somehow these devicits are taking care of and we don't worry about it.

I understand that a "device that operates with a repetitive process and provides a mechanism to count those repetitions can be used as a clock", but I don't see how that repetitive process measures the propery called time; that is, I don't see how a clock measures the property called time.

I can see that the repetitive process can be used as a unit of comparison, but can't see how it is a unit of the property called time.

ghwellsjr said:
If you couldn't measure the property of time with some system, then it wouldn't be a characteristic qualifying to be dealt with by science.
That's what I was thinking.

mangaroosh said:
I can see that the repetitive process can be used as a unit of comparison, but can't see how it is a unit of the property called time.
If there is a property called time and if it affected all repetitive processes equally, do you agree that any of these repetitive processes could be used as the basis for a valid instrument to measure time?

ghwellsjr said:
If there is a property called time and if it affected all repetitive processes equally, do you agree that any of these repetitive processes could be used as the basis for a valid instrument to measure time?

that's assuming the conclusion though. how do we know that there actually is a property called time which affects all repetitive processes equally?

mangaroosh said:
[..] I can see that the repetitive process can be used as a unit of comparison, but can't see how it is a unit of the property called time.
[..]
that's assuming the conclusion though. how do we know that there actually is a property called time which affects all repetitive processes equally?

You may think that we have it the wrong way round, but it's easy to show that it's not so. Just consider how the concept of time must have arisen: from the daily sequence of sunrise and sundown, as well as the seasons. Thus, man's concept of "time" was formed by the observation of natural clocks. Man-made clocks came much later, and expensive ones often incorporated models of the sun and moon.

Anyway, for physics we cannot do otherwise than work with measurable standards for all such things as "time" and "temperature" that we may want to describe and predict.

mangaroosh said:
Should we suspend all scientific endeavors until we find a counter example, at which point, we would just be locked into a different conundrum?

harrylin said:
You may think that we have it the wrong way round, but it's easy to show that it's not so. Just consider how the concept of time must have arisen: from the daily sequence of sunrise and sundown, as well as the seasons. Thus, man's concept of "time" was formed by the observation of natural clocks. Man-made clocks came much later, and expensive ones often incorporated models of the sun and moon.

Anyway, for physics we cannot do otherwise than work with measurable standards for all such things as "time" and "temperature" that we may want to describe and predict.

the same problem applies to those natural clocks; how do they measure the property called time?

ghwellsjr said:
Should we suspend all scientific endeavors until we find a counter example, at which point, we would just be locked into a different conundrum?

not at all; all that should happen is that science should do what science does best*, challenge our assumptions about the nature of the universe; otherwise any theory which includes time as a property and measures that property using a clock is arguably guilty of circular reasoning.

*forgive the personification of science

mangaroosh said:
the same problem applies to those natural clocks; how do they measure the property called time?

Again, it's the inverse: the concept "time" arose from observing the natural cycles. Naturally people decided to divide the year in (moon-) months and (solar) days. That's how people started to use the natural clocks that they observed, as measurement instruments for the progress of natural processes (such as aging, growing to harvest, etc); and this concept that evolved with the use of those clocks they called "time".

harrylin said:
Again, it's the inverse: the concept "time" arose from observing the natural cycles. Naturally people decided to divide the year in (moon-) months and (solar) days. That's how people started to use the natural clocks that they observed, as measurement instruments for the progress of natural processes (such as aging, growing to harvest, etc); and this concept that evolved with the use of those clocks they called "time".

I would agree that the concept of time arose from observing such natural cycles, coupled with man's innate capacity for memory; but that is all time is, a concept.

EDIT: regardless of how the concept arose though, it doesn't support the contention that time is a property of the universe which can be measured; or that any kind of clock, natural or manmade, actually measures a property called time.

It might also be worth pointing out that the concept of a geocentric universe also arose from observing such natural cycles, until the assumption was challenged.

mangaroosh said:
ghwellsjr said:
not at all; all that should happen is that science should do what science does best*, challenge our assumptions about the nature of the universe; otherwise any theory which includes time as a property and measures that property using a clock is arguably guilty of circular reasoning.

*forgive the personification of science
Even if this were true or even if it were false but you believed it to be true, it won't hamper you from learning relativity which is what this forum is for. I'm only interested in helping those people who want to learn about Special Relativity. Are you one of those people?

ghwellsjr said:
Even if this were true or even if it were false but you believed it to be true, it won't hamper you from learning relativity which is what this forum is for. I'm only interested in helping those people who want to learn about Special Relativity. Are you one of those people?

I am interested in learning about Special Relativity, and I appreciate your taking the time to go through it with me. For me though learning doesn't simply mean accepting what is said, it involves questioing it and challenging it so that it is understood; that includes challenging the assumptions of it.

As for the truth of the notion that time is a system of measurment and not a property, that is easily verified with some honest questioning.

mangaroosh said:
I would agree that the concept of time arose from observing such natural cycles, coupled with man's innate capacity for memory; but that is all time is, a concept.

EDIT: regardless of how the concept arose though, it doesn't support the contention that time is a property of the universe which can be measured; or that any kind of clock, natural or manmade, actually measures a property called time.

Everything that we measure relates to human concepts about nature. This is really philosophy, and although interesting, it's a bit off-topic here. You may be interested to read a philosophically oriented paper about special relativity, as you will probably appreciate the introduction:

The evolution of space and time, Langevin.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Evolution_of_Space_and_Time

harrylin said:
Everything that we measure relates to human concepts about nature. This is really philosophy, and although interesting, it's a bit off-topic here. You may be interested to read a philosophically oriented paper about special relativity, as you will probably appreciate the introduction:

The evolution of space and time, Langevin.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Evolution_of_Space_and_Time

cheers, I'll give that a look.

It is essentially a philosophical consideration, because it is a philosophical assumption [apparently] inherent in the model. The difference between measurnig time and other concepts about nature is that other concepts about nature actually correspond to real things, which can be measured, time doesn't appear to be; that is, it is assumed to be, but when considered, it doesn't appear to be.

ghwellsjr said:
I'm only interested in helping those people who want to learn about Special Relativity. Are you one of those people?
I am, ghwellsjr. hi, :smile:, and I hope you'll be patient with me, too!

If I may: "time" is a concept, an abstract idea (a *category) we need to describe only a dynamic world (being, entity, existing), if world were static, we would not need it (if absolute time would exist all the same, is a philosophical speculation, but we surely couldn't measure/perceive it)
so, we describe dynamic(ity), dynamism, or (choosing a common word) "change", we can measure change with every thing, phenomenon; it must not be repetitive, only regular, in order to be reliable. Motion, of course, is the obvious, patent phenomenon representing change[(of place], but we can use any invisible, internal phisical process as a "standard".
We measured "time-change" counting oscillation of a pendulum (gravity), measuring space, length, distance traveled by Sun etc, but also measuring mass, volume (water, sand) etc, now we measure "transitions ...of caesium", to-morrow who knows?
This is fundamental if we want to understand relativity: one standard of measurement doesn't and can't influence another standard. We do not measure time, not even change bu: space, mass etc.

(* "property, quality, attribute" has same ontological status as "time": category of being)

[If you allow me, I want to draw your attention to a problem similar to MM but in which length contraction doesn't help:
Imagine a platform and a train speeding N(orth) at 50 m/s. On both, a man pushes a ball (mass= x Kg) N. One ball moves at 51 the other at 1 m/s, N. The two men do same work? one ball gets 2500 times KE?]
EDIT: I know it doesn't regard SR and length contraction, I am presenting it just as a possibly interesting analogy with MM. I do not expect a reply

Last edited:
logics said:
[..]
If you allow me, I want to draw your attention to a problem similar to MM but in which length contraction doesn't help:
Imagine a platform and a train speeding N(orth) at 50 m/s. On both, a man pushes a ball (mass= x Kg) N. One ball moves at 51 the other at 1 m/s, N. The two men do same work? one ball gets 2500 times KE?
[..]

That doesn't fit in this topic, and it isn't specifically a problem of SR but the same in classical physics. Coincidentally it is a fresh topic there, so please comment in that thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=534883

If next you have a question how the same works in SR (roughly the same), then please begin a topic on that here.

harrylin said:
That doesn't fit in this topic..If next you have a question.
my note is not a question, just a "frame-of-reference analogy" hint, regarding [topic]MM experiment, my post, regards time.

Last edited: