1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on notation.

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone. I Very Excite to be here : D!

Ok, so I was reading on taylor polynomials for several variables and came across the following on wikipedia:

<math>T(\mathbf{x}) = f(\mathbf{a}) + \mathrm{D} f(\mathbf{a})^T (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a}) + \frac{1}{2!} (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a})^T \mathrm{D}^2 f(\mathbf{a}) (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a}) + \cdots\!

Or, please follow the link:

*it is the second to last expression in that section.

What do they mean by that "T" on top of the matrices? what does it tell us to do?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

I'm looking at the Wiki article. Usually, that symbol is used to denote the transpose of a matrix. Does that work?
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    Oh, I see. Thanks.
  5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

D H

Staff: Mentor

In this case, the superscript T is a bit superfluous, and maybe even incorrect. As the gradient of some vector lies in the dual of the vector space, the gradient of a column vector is typically represented as a row vector (and vice versa). Using that convention, it is better to say [itex]\nabla \mathbf f(a) \mathbf f(a)[/itex] (i.e., no transpose). Even better, use Einstein sum notation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?