Understanding Taylor Series Notation: A Clear Explanation

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a "T" symbol in the Taylor polynomial for several variables. It is typically used to denote the transpose of a matrix, but in this case it may be superfluous or even incorrect. It is suggested to use the gradient notation or Einstein sum notation instead.
frasifrasi
Hello everyone. I Very Excite to be here : D!

Ok, so I was reading on taylor polynomials for several variables and came across the following on wikipedia:

<math>T(\mathbf{x}) = f(\mathbf{a}) + \mathrm{D} f(\mathbf{a})^T (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a}) + \frac{1}{2!} (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a})^T \mathrm{D}^2 f(\mathbf{a}) (\mathbf{x} - \mathbf{a}) + \cdots\!
</math>

Or, please follow the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series#Taylor_series_in_several_variables

*it is the second to last expression in that section.

What do they mean by that "T" on top of the matrices? what does it tell us to do?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
frasifrasi said:
What do they mean by that "T" on top of the matrices? what does it tell us to do?

Thanks.

I'm looking at the Wiki article. Usually, that symbol is used to denote the transpose of a matrix. Does that work?

Oh, I see. Thanks.

In this case, the superscript T is a bit superfluous, and maybe even incorrect. As the gradient of some vector lies in the dual of the vector space, the gradient of a column vector is typically represented as a row vector (and vice versa). Using that convention, it is better to say [itex]\nabla \mathbf f(a) \mathbf f(a)[/itex] (i.e., no transpose). Even better, use Einstein sum notation.

1. What is notation?

Notation is a system of symbols or signs used to represent numbers, words, or musical notes.

2. Why is notation important?

Notation is important because it allows us to record and communicate complex information in a concise and organized way. It also helps to standardize the way we express ideas and concepts.

3. What are some common types of notation?

Some common types of notation include mathematical notation, musical notation, and scientific notation. Other types include musical chord notation, chemical notation, and linguistic notation.

4. How is notation used in science?

Notation is used in science to represent and communicate complex ideas, formulas, and data. It is especially important in fields like mathematics, physics, and chemistry where precise and concise notation is crucial for accurate calculations and understanding.

5. Can notation be subjective?

Yes, notation can be subjective to some degree. Different disciplines and individuals may have variations in their preferred notation systems. However, there are also widely accepted and standardized notations in each field that ensure consistent and accurate communication.