1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on ODEs

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    I've been asked to consider differential equations of the form y=xp+f(p), where p=dy/dx, and to show that the general solution is y=cx+f(c).

Substituting in p, the original equation is y=x(dy/dx)+f(dy/dx), and by differentiating I get:

dy/dx=x(d2y/dx2) + dy/dx + d2y/fx2 * f`(dy/dx).

Substracting dy/dx from both sides:

0 = x(d2y/dx2) + d2y/fx2 * f`(dy/dx).

Factorising d2y/dx2:

0=d2y/dx2(x+f`(dy/dx))

Thus in one case d2y/dx2=0 => dy/dx=c => p=c. Substituting into the original equation we get y=cx+f(c) so that part is done.

It then asks me to further show that there is a second solution obeying the differentiatial equation:

d(f(p))/dp + x = 0

Now I suspected you could solve this by looking at the second case above where x+f`(dy/dx)=0 but I'm not sure how. I noticed you get this new differential equation by simply differentiating the original equation by p. However surely I can't ignore the case of x+f`(dy/dx)=0, it must be involved somehow?

Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?