Question on ohm's law

• Thread starter Lim Y K
  • Start date
according to ohm's law, the current is proportional to the potential difference provided that the temperature remains constant. so , the for equation , R= V/I, may i know which is the constant in the equation? i know the general form of direct proportion is y=kx or y/x=k but in R=V/I, i am unable to identify which is the constant. please help me with this. thank you

Answers and Replies

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
hi there

There is no constant in there other than whichever one you want to remain constant

so for your example R = V/I ... if V is steady and you measure the current flowing in the circuit, you can establish the resistance present
so for any variation of those 3, from any 2 knowns, you can work out the unknown value

Dave

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
according to ohm's law, the current is proportional to the potential difference provided that the temperature remains constant. so , the for equation , R= V/I, may i know which is the constant in the equation? i know the general form of direct proportion is y=kx or y/x=k but in R=V/I, i am unable to identify which is the constant. please help me with this. thank you
Why would the temperature need to remain constant? Resistance will vary with temperature but that doesn't invalidate Ohm's Law, it just means that for a fixed voltage, the current will fluctuate inversely with the resistance fluctuation

Ohm's law states that for constant physical conditions , the potential difference applied across a circuit is directly proportional to the current induced .

Or , V ∝i , and V=iR .

Thus the constant of proportionality , by ohm's law , is R .

I hope this helps .

Likes Lim Y K
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Ohm's law states that for constant physical conditions , the potential difference applied across a circuit is directly proportional to the current induced .
OR, the current induced is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

Or , V ∝i , and V=iR .

Thus the constant of proportionality , by ohm's law , is R .

I hope this helps .
it does make sense to me....my notes states so as well but i just needed clarification