Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on ohm's law

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    according to ohm's law, the current is proportional to the potential difference provided that the temperature remains constant. so , the for equation , R= V/I, may i know which is the constant in the equation? i know the general form of direct proportion is y=kx or y/x=k but in R=V/I, i am unable to identify which is the constant. please help me with this. thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

There is no constant in there other than whichever one you want to remain constant

so for your example R = V/I ... if V is steady and you measure the current flowing in the circuit, you can establish the resistance present
    so for any variation of those 3, from any 2 knowns, you can work out the unknown value

Dave

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would the temperature need to remain constant? Resistance will vary with temperature but that doesn't invalidate Ohm's Law, it just means that for a fixed voltage, the current will fluctuate inversely with the resistance fluctuation

5. Jul 18, 2015 #4
    Ohm's law states that for constant physical conditions , the potential difference applied across a circuit is directly proportional to the current induced .

Or , V ∝i , and V=iR .

Thus the constant of proportionality , by ohm's law , is R .

I hope this helps .

6. Jul 18, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

OR, the current induced is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

7. Jul 18, 2015 #6
    it does make sense to me....my notes states so as well but i just needed clarification

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook