Physics Q: What Law Applied to Lead Boat Against Wind?

• Thread starter vu95112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of physics to lead a boat against the wind. The author explains that a sail works like an airplane wing, using the principle of aerodynamics. The air flowing faster on one side of the sail creates less pressure, resulting in a force that pushes the boat forward against the wind. The conversation ends with a message of gratitude and well wishes for Thanksgiving.
vu95112
I read one book. The author says that, in the old day, people know to apply physics to lead a boat against the wind. Anyone can help me on this question. What is the law in physics do they apply? Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
This i believe has to do with aerodynamics. A sail works just like an airplane wing, if you point the boat against the wind, the sail will have a curve like an airplane wing. Let's say that this bulge is towards the left. So air will flow faster at the left side and slower at the other because it has to travel a greater distance to get to the other side. Just like an Airplane wing(i know i keep repeating this but its exactly the same principle). So the air going faste will have less pressure than the slower moving air. And so if you take the pressure difference and multiply it times the area of the sail you will see that the force will actually push it forward against the wind.
If this doesn't make sense look at my diagram i am about to submit

FoxCommander

Sorry i couldn't get my scanner to work so just look it up on google and you should be able to make sense of it using my description

Hello FoxCommander,

Thank you very much for your help. I got it. I can search it on Google. I wish you have a very nice Thanksgiving.
Vu95112

Thanks and you have a wonderful Thanksgiving yourself!

FoxCommander

1. What is the law of motion that applies to a lead boat against wind?

The law of motion that applies to a lead boat against wind is Newton's third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction. This law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a lead boat against wind, the action is the force of the wind pushing against the boat, and the reaction is the force of the boat pushing back against the wind.

2. Why does a lead boat move against the wind?

A lead boat moves against the wind due to the principle of Bernoulli's equation. This principle states that when a fluid (such as air) flows around an object, there is a difference in pressure between the two sides of the object. In the case of a lead boat, the shape of the hull and the angle of the sails create a difference in pressure, causing the boat to move against the wind.

3. Can a lead boat move faster than the wind?

Yes, a lead boat can move faster than the wind. This is due to the combined effect of the wind and the boat's propulsion. The wind provides the initial force to move the boat, and the boat's propulsion system (such as a motor or oars) allows it to continue moving faster than the wind's speed.

4. How does the wind affect the speed of a lead boat?

The wind can both help and hinder the speed of a lead boat. When the wind is blowing in the same direction as the boat, it can provide an additional force to increase the boat's speed. However, when the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it can create resistance and slow the boat down.

5. What factors affect the ability of a lead boat to move against the wind?

The factors that affect a lead boat's ability to move against the wind include the shape and size of the boat's hull, the angle and size of the sails, the strength and direction of the wind, and the efficiency of the boat's propulsion system. These factors can all impact the boat's ability to create a difference in pressure and move against the wind.