Question on Projectile (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The ball is now thrown with the same speed at an angel of 35 deg upward. How far does it travel?

My question is...

They have

vhor = (25 m/s) cos 35 deg = 20.5 m/s

and

The angel with the vertical is (90 - 35) = 55 deg
so...

vvert = (25 m/s) cos 55 deg = 14.3

It seems backwards to me for some reason because it says that the ball was thrown at a angel of 35 deg upward.

Can someone help me understand why 35 deg is tacked onto the horizontal while 55 is tacked onto the vertical?

Usually when talking about projectile motion the angel is to the horizontal line. So you aim 35 degrees up from the horizon. And if you take a closer look at the geometry of a triangle you'll see it is possible to use the same angel for horizontal and vertical speed. Just keep in mind that you can move vectors around.

Usually when talking about projectile motion the angel is to the horizontal line. So you aim 35 degrees up from the horizon. And if you take a closer look at the geometry of a triangle you'll see it is possible to use the same angel for horizontal and vertical speed. Just keep in mind that you can move vectors around.
Ok I do not get how the angel with the horizontal is 35 while the vertical is 55 because you aimed 35 degree upward.

I hastely put together a picture of the situation.
http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00677/3628783.jpg [Broken]
a is the vertical speed, b is horizontal speed and c is a and b combined. Those two pictures mean the exact same thing, I've just moved a. How would you solve a from the picture on the right, if you only knew the value of c and the angel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the visual. I am new to the whole SOH, CAH, TOA and that visual helps greatly...

C = 25m/s
B = 20.5m/s
A = 14.3

C = 25m/s
B = 20.5m/s
A = 14.3
So did you find out, why you can also use 35 degrees instead of 55? Can you show me how you got those figures?

(35 sin) 25 = 14.3

They did it by subtracting 35 from 90 and doing (55 cos)25 = 14.3

Thank ya for helping me figure it out.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic