Understanding Quark-Gluon Vertex in QCD Feynman Rules

In summary: U_\mu^a.In summary, the quark-quark-gluon vertex is given by: -ig\gamma_\mu T^a_{ij} where T is the SU(3) generator and i and j are the colors of the incoming and outgoing quarks.
Einj
Hi guys! A serious doubt just passed through my mind. It is probably a silly question. In writing the Feynman rules for QCD, we know that the quark-gluon vertex is given by:

$$-ig\gamma_\mu T^a_{ij}$$

where T is the SU(3) generator and i and j are the colors of the incoming and outgoing quarks. My question is: does the quark spinors also brigs indices? If for example I would like to write down the matrix element for a quark interacting with a certain color field [itex]A_\mu(q)[/itex], do I have to write:

$$\bar{u}^i(k)(-ig)T^a_{ij}\gamma^\mu A_\mu^a(q) u^j(k')$$

??
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, of course. "i" counts the flavor (different species of quarks), "a" counts the color (different types of gluons).

I think in Einj's notation, i and j are quark colors (SU(3) color triplet indices), not flavors.

But yes, you need to handle spinor indices properly too. It's a sad fact that spinor indices are almost always suppressed, but ##\gamma_\mu## has some. Writing them explictly, the quark-quark-gluon vertex is

##-ig \gamma_\mu^{\alpha \beta} T^a_{i j}##

where here ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are Dirac spinor indices that will get contracted with the Dirac indices of the ingoing and outgoing quarks.

Ok thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Einj, instead of reconstructing the complete term based on the vertex it's better to start with the Lagrangian which already contains this term and from which the vertex is derived.

there is no terms involving Aμ(q) there.that just ruins everything.

Aμ is a term is inserted as a classical color field. It the analogous of the term used in the amplitude for the scattering by an external field in QED.

1. What is QCD?

QCD stands for Quantum Chromodynamics, which is a theory in particle physics that describes the strong interaction between quarks and gluons, the building blocks of protons and neutrons.

2. What are Feynman rules?

Feynman rules are a set of mathematical rules used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of particle interactions. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman and are based on his famous diagrams.

3. What is the role of QCD Feynman rules?

The QCD Feynman rules are used to calculate the probability amplitude for quarks and gluons to interact and produce observable particles. They help us understand and make predictions about the behavior of these subatomic particles.

4. How are QCD Feynman rules different from other Feynman rules?

QCD Feynman rules are specific to Quantum Chromodynamics, whereas other Feynman rules may be used to calculate interactions in other theories, such as Quantum Electrodynamics. They involve the use of different mathematical equations and diagrams.

5. Are QCD Feynman rules always accurate?

Like any scientific theory, QCD Feynman rules are constantly being refined and improved upon as new data and experiments are conducted. While they have been highly successful in predicting particle behavior, they may not always be accurate in every situation and are subject to further study and experimentation.