1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on quantum mechanics

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(i) Briefly indicate how substitution of operators corresponding to dynamical variables in an eigenvalue equation leads to the Schrodinger equation [itex]\left( \frac{-ħ^{2}}{2m} ∇^{2} + V \right)ψ = Eψ.[/itex]

(ii) What is the Coulomb potential, V(r), of an electron, charge e, in a hydrogen atom at distance r from the nucleus?

(iii), (iv), (v) left out for the moment

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) (T + V) = E : law of conservation of energy

Multiply by ψ to obtain an eigenvalue equation: (T + V)ψ = Eψ

Substitute operators [itex]\widehat{T}[/itex] and [itex]\widehat{V}[/itex] corresponding to the dynamical variables T and V in the eigenvalue equation: [itex]( \widehat{T} + \widehat{V} ) ψ = Eψ[/itex]

[itex]\widehat{T} = \frac{\widehat{p}^{2}}{2m} = \frac{(-iħ∇)^{2}}{2m} = \frac{-ħ^{2}}{2m} ∇^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\widehat{V} = V[/itex]

So, the eigenvalue equation becomes the Schrodinger equation [itex]\left( \frac{-ħ^{2}}{2m} ∇^{2} + V \right)ψ = Eψ[/itex].

(ii) V(r) = [itex]\frac{-e^{2}}{4πε₀r}[/itex]

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep, your answers look good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook