Understanding Quantum Numbers: Exploring Half Integers and Their Limitations

In summary, quantum numbers cannot be divided into half integers because they are quantized by the solutions to the Schrodinger equation and are determined by the boundary conditions of the system. This means that the values of quantum numbers are not continuous but instead have discrete values. Solutions to the Schrodinger equation have to be normalized and single-valued in order to be physically meaningful.
HiggsBoson1
I don't understand why quantum numbers can not be divided into half integers and so on. The books I have read do not give clear explanations. Would anyone mind helping me understand this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What quantum numbers are you talking about?

If you are talking about spin quantum numbers then any decent book on QM will prove from the angular momentum commutation relations why its quantized.

If you are talking about solutions to Schroedinger's equation then that is not always quantized, and when it is it depends entirely on the Hamiltonian:
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/Users/smithb/website/coursenotes/qi/QILectureNotes3.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Likes HiggsBoson1
bhobba said:
What quantum numbers are you talking about?

If you are talking about spin quantum numbers then any decent book on QM will prove from the angular momentum commutation relations why its quantized.

If you are talking about solutions to Schroedinger's equation then that is not always quantized, and when it is it depends entirely on the Hamiltonian:
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/Users/smithb/website/coursenotes/qi/QILectureNotes3.pdf

Thanks
Bill
That was really helpful! Thanks a lot! :)

HiggsBoson1 said:
I don't understand why quantum numbers can not be divided into half integers and so on. The books I have read do not give clear explanations. Would anyone mind helping me understand this? Thanks!

The Schrodinger equation: [itex]H \psi = E \psi[/itex] can be solved for arbitrary values of [itex]E[/itex], but when [itex]E[/itex] is not an eigenvalue of the hamiltonian, then [itex]\psi[/itex] will be unnormalizable--it will blow up at infinity, or at the origin, or somewhere. For example, a solution to the free particle Schrodinger equation with [itex]E < 0[/itex] is: [itex]\psi = e^{\hbar K x}[/itex], which corresponds to an energy of [itex]-\hbar^2 K^2/(2 m)[/itex].

The differential equations for the wave function are forced to have discrete values by boundary conditions: to make sure that the wave function is single-valued in the whole domain, and to make sure that the integral of [itex]|\psi|^2[/itex] is finite.

Likes HiggsBoson1

1. What are quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are a set of numerical values that describe the energy states and properties of particles in quantum mechanics. They are used to identify and distinguish between different quantum states.

2. How many quantum numbers are there?

There are four main quantum numbers: the principal quantum number (n), the angular momentum quantum number (l), the magnetic quantum number (ml), and the spin quantum number (ms). However, there are also additional quantum numbers that are used for more complex systems.

3. What is the significance of quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are important because they help us understand the properties of particles and their behavior in different energy states. They also help us predict and explain the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. How are quantum numbers determined?

Quantum numbers are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. The values of the quantum numbers are then used to describe the energy level, shape, and orientation of the particle's wave function.

5. Can quantum numbers change?

Yes, quantum numbers can change when a particle undergoes a transition to a different energy state. This can happen through processes such as absorption or emission of energy, or through collisions with other particles.