1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on rectifiable sets

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to work my way through Analysis on manifolds by Munkres. Question 14.5 has me stumped. Any hints on how to tackle it would be appreciated. The question is:

Find a bounded closed set in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] that is not rectifiable

2. Relevant equations

A subset S of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] is rectifiable iff S is bounded and the boundary of S has measure zero.

The boundary of an interval in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] has measure zero.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I need a closed set who's boundary does not have measure zero. I presume it has to be an uncountable union of intervals of some description, but I have no idea how to approach the construction of such a thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: fat Cantor set. Look it up.

4. Aug 11, 2010 #3

Thank you. I should have thought of that, but only considered the standard Cantor set. Thanks again.

5. Aug 11, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow! That was fast. I see that "a word to the wise is sufficient" is sometimes true.

6. Aug 11, 2010 #5
    I have come across fat cantor sets before and my problem was that I could not think of a closed set whose boundary had positive measure. As soon as you gave the hint the rest followed and I felt like a fool. Oh well such is the learning process. Thanks again for the help, I had been stuck on that for a couple of days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook