What is a non-rectifiable bounded closed set in \mathbb{R}?

• Thread starter GreyZephyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a bounded closed set in \mathbb{R} that is not rectifiable, with hints provided on how to approach the problem. The suggested solution is to use a "fat Cantor set", which is a closed set with a positive measure boundary, and the conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful hint.
GreyZephyr

Homework Statement

I am trying to work my way through Analysis on manifolds by Munkres. Question 14.5 has me stumped. Any hints on how to tackle it would be appreciated. The question is:

Find a bounded closed set in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] that is not rectifiable

Homework Equations

A subset S of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] is rectifiable iff S is bounded and the boundary of S has measure zero.

The boundary of an interval in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] has measure zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need a closed set who's boundary does not have measure zero. I presume it has to be an uncountable union of intervals of some description, but I have no idea how to approach the construction of such a thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: fat Cantor set. Look it up.

Dick said:
Hint: fat Cantor set. Look it up.

Thank you. I should have thought of that, but only considered the standard Cantor set. Thanks again.

GreyZephyr said:
Thank you. I should have thought of that, but only considered the standard Cantor set. Thanks again.

Wow! That was fast. I see that "a word to the wise is sufficient" is sometimes true.

Dick said:
Wow! That was fast. I see that "a word to the wise is sufficient" is sometimes true.

I have come across fat cantor sets before and my problem was that I could not think of a closed set whose boundary had positive measure. As soon as you gave the hint the rest followed and I felt like a fool. Oh well such is the learning process. Thanks again for the help, I had been stuck on that for a couple of days.

1. What is a rectifiable set?

A rectifiable set is a subset of Euclidean space that can be covered by a finite number of small geometric shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, that can be summed to approximate the set's area. In simpler terms, it is a set that can be measured and has a finite size.

2. How is a rectifiable set different from a non-rectifiable set?

A rectifiable set has a finite size and can be measured, while a non-rectifiable set has an infinite size and cannot be measured. This means that a rectifiable set can be approximated by a finite number of geometric shapes, while a non-rectifiable set cannot.

3. Can every set in Euclidean space be rectified?

No, not every set in Euclidean space can be rectified. Only sets that have a finite size and can be approximated by a finite number of geometric shapes can be considered rectifiable.

4. What is the importance of studying rectifiable sets?

Studying rectifiable sets is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and geometry. It helps us understand and measure sets in a more precise and rigorous way, and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Can a set be both rectifiable and non-rectifiable?

No, a set cannot be both rectifiable and non-rectifiable. A set is either rectifiable, meaning it has a finite size and can be measured, or non-rectifiable, meaning it has an infinite size and cannot be measured.