Proving Q is Transitive in Mendelson's Topology

• Thread starter philosophking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, the conversation discusses a question from Mendelson's Topology about proving the transitivity of a subset of real numbers. The proof given by one person is questioned but ultimately deemed correct, with the reminder that the properties given are important and may be used in future proofs.
philosophking
Hey everyone,

I'm working through the first chapter of Mendelson's Topology right now and ran into this question:

Let P be a subset of real numbers R such that i) 1 is in P, 2) if a,b are in P then a+b are in P, and 3) for each x in R, either x is in P, x=0, or -x is in P. Define Q= {(a,b) such that (a,b) is in R x R and a-b is in P}. Prove that Q is transitive.

The only reason I'm unsure about this is because my proof was very short and didn't involve 2 of the properties. This is what i said:

To prove Q is transitive, we prove that if aRb and bRc then aRc. Suppose aRb and bRc, then by definition of Q a-b is in P and b-c is in P (and hence in Q). According to property 2 then, (a-b)+(b-c) is in P, or a-c is in P and hence Q, so Q is transitive.

See why I'm confused? Did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you're confused, everything is fine. Note that when you say, "a - c is in P and hence Q" what you really mean is that "a - c is in P and hence (a, c) is in Q".

Oh right, thanks. I was confused because they gave a few unnecessary properties, and i really didn't understand it.

This collection of properties is an important one -- the book presumably will either show or ask you to show other interesting properties that such a set P, and relation Q, would have.

1. What is Mendelson's Topology?

Mendelson's Topology is a mathematical concept that defines a set of rules for determining the relationships between different elements within a given set. It is commonly used in the field of topology, which is the study of properties that are preserved through continuous deformations of objects.

2. What does it mean for a relationship to be transitive?

A relationship is transitive when the elements in the relationship can be connected in a chain-like manner. This means that if A is related to B, and B is related to C, then A is also related to C. In other words, the relationship is transitive if it follows the "if A, then B; if B, then C; therefore, if A, then C" structure.

3. How is transitivity proven in Mendelson's Topology?

In order to prove that a relationship, such as Q, is transitive in Mendelson's Topology, one must show that for any elements A, B, and C in the set, if A is related to B and B is related to C, then A is also related to C. This can be done by using the rules and definitions of the topology to show that the relationship holds true for all elements in the set.

4. Why is proving transitivity important in Mendelson's Topology?

Proving transitivity is important in Mendelson's Topology because it helps to establish the validity and consistency of the relationships within the set. It also allows for the application of other important concepts, such as reflexivity and symmetry, which are based on the transitive relationship.

5. What are some real-world applications of transitivity in Mendelson's Topology?

Transitivity in Mendelson's Topology has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of computer science and engineering. It is used in network analysis to determine the flow of information between different nodes, in database management to define relationships between data, and in circuit design to ensure the proper functioning of electronic systems.