1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on relative velocity

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    Umm, so as far as I understand velocity is speed in a direction. So if I'm going North at X Km/h and another guy goes south, he'll go at -X Km/h.

So anyways, the formula for relative velocity, for example V(AB) is V(A)-V(B). So let's say two trucks are going at 70 m/s towards each other (they're gonna gonna crash :P).

So the velocity of Truck A relative to Truck B will be 70 m/s - (-70 m/s) = 140 M/S. Now since this is velocity, doesn't this imply that Truck A is going parallel alongside Truck B instead of going the opposite direction.

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question, this is just a new concept and I don't fully understand it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2
    No ,,

You can understand it in other way.

Imagine that there is someone on truck A that is moving with 70 km/h . so he will see the other truck 'B' , which is moving with 70 km/h , going with 140 km/h .

Thus , this is the velocity of the truck B relative to A.

v=va-(-vb)

On the other hand , imagine that someone ' let call him X ' is on truck A , that is going parallel alongside truck B and they are moving in the same velocity ,

Now , 'X' will see truck B not moving !! ,,

So the relative velocity is v=va-(-vb)=0.

this is the idea.

Is it understandable now,
    :)

4. Jan 12, 2015 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

As I understand the concern in the OP, this comes down to a question about sign conventions.

The relative velocity of A relative to B is +140 meters/sec if we stay with the convention that North is positive and South is negative. Truck A is moving northward at 140 meters/sec according to truck B.

Edit: This +140 m/s is the calculated "closing velocity" expressed in terms of the ground frame of reference.

But if we adopt the point of view of truck B, it is easy to shift to a convention where front is positive and back is negative. Truck A is moving backward at 140 meters/sec according to truck B.

Edit: This is -140 m/s if expressed in terms of the truck-B-relative frame.

forward and northward in opposite directions. Hence the reversal in sign.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook