Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Rep. John Boehner.

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    I don't know anything about this guy, besides the fact that he's trying to become the Republican leader in the house, and that he's from Ohio. But at this point, I don't really care too much about the guy's politics or whatever.

However, I've only ever read about the guy, I've never heard anyone say his name. So the question arises; is his name pronounced "bonner," or "boner," as in an erection?

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer is c - None of the above.

It's pronounced "Bay-ner".

4. Jan 11, 2006 #3
    BOLLOCKS!

This is proof to me that God doesn't exist. If He did, then this comedic opportunity would've been realized!

5. Jan 12, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, we do only have his word on the pronunciation. :rofl:

One branch of my ancestors had to make a difficult choice about their family name when they came to the US. As a result, they split into two different groups - the bunch that wanted their name spelt correctly as Jepsen and the bunch that wanted their name pronounced correctly as Yepsen. It wasn't quite a clean break, which provided an interesting challenge when I was tracing my family tree.

You did know that Buffalo (the city name, not the animal) is French for "beautiful river", didn't you? Names get butchered all the time, so who knows how Boehner is really supposed to be pronounced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?