Maximum speed of smaller mass in trebuchet with stiff rod and two masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum speed attained by a smaller mass on a trebuchet with a stiff rod of 3m and negligible mass. The method of using potential and kinetic energy is suggested for solving the problem instead of considering forces and torques. The question of treating the masses as point masses is also addressed, with the conclusion that it is necessary due to lack of information about their shape and density distribution. The concept of torque and its relation to force and rotation is also briefly discussed.
semc
Imagine a trebuchet with a stiff rod of 3m and neligible mass.Two masses 60kg and 0.12kg are at its end with the bigger mass 0.14m away from the pivot point. Find the maximum speed the smaller mass attain.

Alright the question is somewhat like this and i start of by finding the moment of inertia and the torque which gives me the angular acceleration but how do i continue from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi semc! :smile:

They're point masses, so I wouldn't bother with moment of inertia …

just use (ordinary) PE + KE = constant, to find the speeds when the heavy mass is at the bottom. :wink:

Hi tim i don't understand why the two masses can be treated as point mass since the question doesn't specify that the masses have uniform density distribution. So if we are asked to find the velocity of the mass at a given specific time we should calculate the angular acceleration and from there find the velocity or is there a easier method?

I have another question: I learn that force cross d ,where d is the perpendicular distance from the point the force is acting to the pivot point, gives the torque cause by this force correct? So what does the direction of the torque tell us? Does it merely tell us which way the object is rotating or does it gives us information like the direction of the force? Ain't torque the tendency to rotate an object by a force?

The forces can be treated as point masses because we have to :smile:

It's indeed true that we don't know what the shape or density distribution of the masses is.
If the bigger mass would be an iron sphere it would have a radius of about 0.12 m so it certainly matters. The smaller mass can be treated as a point mass with very high accuracy.

Even if you assume that [tex]\frac{1}{m} \int r^2 dm [/tex] of the larger mass is 0.14
you still wouldn't know what its centre of mass is, which you need for calculating it's gravitational potential energy.

In any case, it's much easier to only consider potential and kinetic energy and no forces or torques.

Hi semc! Hi willem2! :smile:
So what does the direction of the torque tell us? Does it merely tell us which way the object is rotating or does it gives us information like the direction of the force? Ain't torque the tendency to rotate an object by a force?

The direction of the torque is the axis of rotation, nothing more.
Hi tim i don't understand why the two masses can be treated as point mass since the question doesn't specify that the masses have uniform density distribution.

As willem2 :smile: says, there's no choice … we're not told the shape or size, so we have to assume they're point masses!
semc said:
I learn that force cross d ,where d is the perpendicular distance from the point the force is acting to the pivot point, gives the torque cause by this force correct?

Almost correct. :smile: it's the perpendicular distance from the line of the force to the pivot point. :wink:

Since the only force is gravity, and the line of that force is always vertical, that means the perpendicular distance in this case keeps changing, so the torque keeps changing …

so if you use torque, you'll have a very messy unnecessary integral. :frown:

As willem2 says, it's much easier in this case to only consider PE and KE and no forces or torques (or angular anything). :rolleyes:

Try it! :smile:

I understand now. Thanks for he help guys!:biggrin:

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is a type of motion that involves circular or curved paths.

2. What is the difference between linear motion and rotational motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis. Linear motion involves displacement, velocity, and acceleration in a single direction, while rotational motion involves angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is measured in radians per second and indicates how fast an object is rotating around an axis.

4. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object in rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel on an axle, the swinging of a pendulum, and the movement of a fan or propeller. Other examples include the Earth's rotation on its axis and the rotation of planets around the sun.