1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Sigma Algebras

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a set X such that [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \text{ and } \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] are [itex]\sigma[/itex]-algebras where both [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \text{ and } \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] consists of subsets of X. We want to show that there exists such a collection such that [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2[/itex] is not a [itex]\sigma[/itex] - algebra

3. The attempt at a solution

So here's what I'm thinking. I feel like for sure we need to fail the condition of Countable additivity.

I'm using a simple example like [itex]X = \{1,2,3\}[/itex] and I chose something [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 = \left\{\emptyset,\{1,2,3\}, \{1\}, \{2,3\} \right\} [/itex]

and [itex]\mathcal{A}_2 = \left\{\emptyset,\{1,2,3\}, \{2\}, \{1,3\} \right\} [/itex]

I have shown that both [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 [/itex] and [itex] \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] are [itex] \sigma [/itex] algebras.

Am I on the right track here? Should I think of non-finite sets?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no need for infinite sets. Can you show the union of those two is not a sigma algebra?

4. Jan 29, 2014 #3
    OK I'm going to do all the four steps

[itex]\mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 = \{ \emptyset, \{ 1,2,3 \}, \{ 1 \}, \{ 2,3 \}, \{2 \} , \{ 1,3\} \}[/itex]

1) it is clear that [itex] \emptyset, \{1,2,3\} [/itex]are in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

2) so if [itex]A \in \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex], then [itex]A^c \in \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex].

I think this is satisfied, e.g. if [itex] A = \{ 1 \}[/itex] , then [itex]A^c = \{ 2,3 \} [/itex] and both are in [itex]\mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

3) if [itex] B_1, ... B_n \in \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] then both

[itex] \bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i [/itex] and [itex] \bigcap_{i=1}^n A_i [/itex] are both in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

I think this is it! I just came up with it now,

so if I take [itex]A_1 = \{ 2,3 \} [/itex] and [itex] A_2 \{1,3\} [/itex] then the intersection is [itex] \{ 3 \} [/itex] and that's not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]. Is this right? so it fails the condition that [itex] \bigcup B_i[/itex] is not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

5. Jan 29, 2014 #4
    Sorry I meant [itex] \bigcap B_i [/itex] is not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex]

6. Jan 29, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You can get {3} by intersections or unions and complements of sets in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex] but it's not in [itex] \mathcal{A}_1 \cup \mathcal{A}_2 [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted