Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on signal selecting

  1. Jun 19, 2008 #1
    Is there such an intergrated circuit that can select a specific frequency out of a large selection of frequencies and to regulate the voltage.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Frequency slectivity is accomplished with a filter, either digital or analog in nature. Not sure what you mean by "regulate the voltage". Do you mean to filter a particular frequency range of signal (like with a bandpass filter), and then use gain control to cause the peak-to-peak amplitude of the output signal to be some set value?
  4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    I'm thinking of an ac voltage regulator. since changes in voltage create changes in frequency, I thought by regulating the voltage to one steady voltage flucuation that it would regulate the voltage and frequency.
  5. Jun 19, 2008 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    An AC voltage regulator is a plain ol' transformer, at least if you know what the input voltage is.

    - Warren
  6. Jun 19, 2008 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Perhaps you are thinking of a frequency divider.
    Basically a crystal oscillator with a counter network where the divisor can be set by switches.

    Voltage and frequency are normally independent quantities.
    You can adjust one without affecting the other.

    There is such a thing as a voltage controlled oscillator though.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook