Help with Strain: Moving Elevator & Cable Stress Questions

• Thread starter Tycho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strain
In summary, the conversation is about finding the strain on a steel cable supporting a freight elevator while it is loaded with a crowd of people and descending at a constant speed. The first step is to find the tension in the cable by applying Newton's 2nd law.
Tycho
I'm having a real problem with this question, could someone please give me a hand?

A 1260kg freight elevator is supported by a steel cable of diameter 34.9mm. It is loaded with a crowd of people collectively having a mass of 2850kg and it is descending.

a) What is the strain on the cable while the elevator is descending at the constant speed of 2.30 m/s?

b) What is the strain in the cable when it is brought to a stop in 0.600s?

I THOUGHT i was okay with this question at first... but then i realized that i had totally ignored the fact that the elevator is moving downwards! I don't know what i need to do to factor that in?? Help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
first find the tension

The first step, in each case, is to find the tension in the cable. To do that, indentify the forces acting the elevator car (there are only two) and apply Newton's 2nd law.

Hello there,

I can definitely understand how this question can be confusing, but let's break it down step by step to help you solve it.

First, let's define strain. Strain is the measure of deformation or elongation of a material due to an applied force. In this case, the steel cable is being elongated due to the weight of the elevator and the people inside it.

a) To calculate the strain on the cable while the elevator is descending at a constant speed, we need to use the formula: strain = change in length/original length. In this case, the change in length is the distance the elevator travels in one second (2.30 m/s) and the original length is the length of the cable. We also need to take into account the weight of the elevator and the people inside it, as this is the force causing the elongation. So the formula becomes: strain = (2.30 m/s x 1s)/original length x (1260kg + 2850kg). This will give you the strain in the cable while the elevator is descending at a constant speed.

b) To calculate the strain in the cable when it is brought to a stop in 0.600s, we need to use the formula: strain = change in length/original length. In this case, the change in length is the distance the elevator travels in 0.600s (since it is brought to a stop) and the original length is the length of the cable. We also need to take into account the weight of the elevator and the people inside it, as this is the force causing the elongation. So the formula becomes: strain = (distance traveled in 0.600s)/original length x (1260kg + 2850kg). This will give you the strain in the cable when it is brought to a stop.

Remember to always double check your units to make sure they are consistent and to use the correct formula for each scenario. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

What is strain?

Strain is a measure of how much a material deforms under stress. It is typically expressed as a ratio of the change in length or shape of a material to its original length or shape.

How does strain affect an elevator?

Strain can affect an elevator in several ways. If the elevator experiences excessive strain, it can lead to mechanical failure and cause the elevator to stop working. Additionally, strain can also cause wear and tear on the elevator's components, leading to increased maintenance needs and potential safety hazards.

What factors contribute to strain on an elevator?

The primary factors that contribute to strain on an elevator are the weight of the elevator car, the weight of the passengers and cargo inside the car, and the speed and frequency of use. Other factors such as the design and condition of the elevator's components can also play a role in strain.

How is strain measured in an elevator?

Strain is typically measured using strain gauges, which are devices that detect and measure changes in length or shape of a material. These gauges are attached to critical components of the elevator, such as the cables and support structures, and provide data on the amount of strain experienced by these components.

What can be done to reduce strain on an elevator?

To reduce strain on an elevator, it is important to properly maintain and regularly inspect all components of the elevator, including cables, pulleys, and support structures. Additionally, ensuring that the elevator is not overloaded and using it within its recommended weight and speed limits can also help reduce strain. Lastly, implementing a regular maintenance schedule and addressing any potential issues promptly can also help prevent excessive strain on the elevator.