1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on summer classes

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    hello, I just have a question on summer classes, I want to get physics II, calc 3, and differential equations done with before the fall, but I have some concerns all those in one semester would be too much, so here's some ideas I was having.

12 week semester:

physics II (along with lab and tuturing class)
    calc 3

save differential for the fall

in 12 week semester

physics II (and lab+tutoring)

and while I'm taking that do this:

in 1st 6 week semester differential

and in the last 6 week semester calc 3

or just take all 3 at the same time; any thoughts? it's probably not recommended I take physics II in a 6 week semester (though it is offered).
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Isn't Calc III a prerequisite for differential equations?

In any event, what's your hurry?
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Your first option looks fine. I wouldn't take two math courses at the same time, and I definitely would not take all three of those over a 12 week session.

All of those courses require a significant time investment since they are condensed into a 12 week session.

5. Mar 12, 2008 #4
    not in my school, you only have to take calc II before you do differential.

I just to finish the lower level classes soon as possible.

oh well I guess I'll just wait to do differnetial in the fall
  6. Mar 12, 2008 #5
    These classes are your FOUNDATION in physics. Please make sure they are STRONG, dont rush though them. I cant stress enough how important calc III is.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. Mar 12, 2008 #6
    I'd choose the option that gives you the best foundation in calc 3
    I use skills that were learned in calc 3 on a daily basis is my math methods class and my E&M class
  8. Mar 13, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I advise taking a well earned break over the summer, maybe get a summer job to earn some money, or perhaps go on holiday somewhere with friends. Everyone needs a holiday, if only a break from taking formal classes. I don't see the need in trying to sprint through your degree to get it done quickly.

You could also read ahead of time for some of the classes you intend to take. It would be good to get a background in the material before you have to sit through a class in it. I don't really know what calculus III is (I'd probably guess it had vector calculus in it) but differential equations you can certainly study on your own over the summer.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  9. Mar 13, 2008 #8

Science Advisor

You guessed it...calculus of multivariables is normally covered (along with Vector analysis) in a calc III course.

10. Mar 13, 2008 #9
    You're lucky you get to have a 12-week summer session -- ours is only 6 week long! I think I'd go with option two (or one, depending on who's teaching what), but that's just me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?