Is Taking Physics II, Calc 3, and Differential Equations in One Summer Too Much?

In summary, you should consider taking calculus III before differential equations in order to have a better foundation. Taking all three physics courses in one 12-week session might be too much, but you can do it if you have the time and motivation.
clope023
hello, I just have a question on summer classes, I want to get physics II, calc 3, and differential equations done with before the fall, but I have some concerns all those in one semester would be too much, so here's some ideas I was having.

12 week semester:

physics II (along with lab and tuturing class)
calc 3

save differential for the fall

or

in 12 week semester

physics II (and lab+tutoring)

and while I'm taking that do this:

in 1st 6 week semester differential

and in the last 6 week semester calc 3

or just take all 3 at the same time; any thoughts? it's probably not recommended I take physics II in a 6 week semester (though it is offered).

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't Calc III a prerequisite for differential equations?

In any event, what's your hurry?

clope023 said:
hello, I just have a question on summer classes, I want to get physics II, calc 3, and differential equations done with before the fall, but I have some concerns all those in one semester would be too much, so here's some ideas I was having.

12 week semester:

physics II (along with lab and tuturing class)
calc 3

save differential for the fall

or

in 12 week semester

physics II (and lab+tutoring)

and while I'm taking that do this:

in 1st 6 week semester differential

and in the last 6 week semester calc 3

or just take all 3 at the same time; any thoughts? it's probably not recommended I take physics II in a 6 week semester (though it is offered).

Your first option looks fine. I wouldn't take two math courses at the same time, and I definitely would not take all three of those over a 12 week session.

All of those courses require a significant time investment since they are condensed into a 12 week session.

CS

Vanadium 50 said:
Isn't Calc III a prerequisite for differential equations?

In any event, what's your hurry?

not in my school, you only have to take calc II before you do differential.

I just to finish the lower level classes soon as possible.

oh well I guess I'll just wait to do differnetial in the fall

These classes are your FOUNDATION in physics. Please make sure they are STRONG, don't rush though them. I can't stress enough how important calc III is.

Last edited:
I'd choose the option that gives you the best foundation in calc 3
I use skills that were learned in calc 3 on a daily basis is my math methods class and my E&M class

I advise taking a well earned break over the summer, maybe get a summer job to earn some money, or perhaps go on holiday somewhere with friends. Everyone needs a holiday, if only a break from taking formal classes. I don't see the need in trying to sprint through your degree to get it done quickly.

You could also read ahead of time for some of the classes you intend to take. It would be good to get a background in the material before you have to sit through a class in it. I don't really know what calculus III is (I'd probably guess it had vector calculus in it) but differential equations you can certainly study on your own over the summer.

Last edited:
cristo said:
I don't really know what calculus III is (I'd probably guess it had vector calculus in it) but differential equations you can certainly study on your own over the summer.

You guessed it...calculus of multivariables is normally covered (along with Vector analysis) in a calc III course.

CS

You're lucky you get to have a 12-week summer session -- ours is only 6 week long! I think I'd go with option two (or one, depending on who's teaching what), but that's just me.

What are summer classes?

Summer classes are academic courses that are offered during the summer months, typically between the end of one school year and the beginning of the next.

Why do students take summer classes?

There are various reasons why students may take summer classes. Some may want to get ahead in their studies, while others may need to catch up on credits or retake a course. Some students may also take summer classes to lighten their course load during the regular school year.

Are summer classes the same as regular classes?

Summer classes can vary in format and length compared to regular classes. Some may be condensed versions of a full semester course, while others may be online or offered in a different format. It is important to check with your school or instructor to understand the specifics of the summer classes being offered.

Can anyone take summer classes?

Summer classes are typically open to anyone who meets the prerequisites for the course. However, some schools may only offer summer classes to their currently enrolled students. It is important to check with your school to see if there are any restrictions on who can take summer classes.

Do summer classes count towards my degree?

Summer classes can count towards your degree, but it depends on your school's policies and the specific course you take. It is important to check with your academic advisor to see if the summer classes you are interested in will count towards your degree requirements.