1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question on summing

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the sum of the series:
    [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=3}\frac{1}{(2n-3)(2n-1)}[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations
    N/A
    3. The attempt at a solution
    This isn't geometric, I can't get it from any common Maclaurin series (as far as I can work out). The book I have tells me the answer is 1/6, I'm sure I'm doing something stupid. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try breaking up the summand using partial fraction decomposition, and then expand the series.

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    OK, so I have [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=3}\frac{1}{2(2n-3)}-\frac{1}{2(2n-1)}[/tex], but I'm not sure what you mean by "expanding the series"; should I split it into two summations? And if so, where do I go from there?

5. May 4, 2010 #4

Mark44

No, not two series - just one. Expanding the series means writing out the sum of terms, starting with the one for n = 3. Look at the sequence of partial sums, Sk, the sum of the terms from n = 3 to n = k.

6. May 4, 2010 #5
    *hits self in head* Wow! Thanks a ton, that should have been obvious.

7. May 4, 2010 #6

Mark44

These things are obvious only after you have done them a time or two.

8. May 4, 2010 #7
    Yah, well at least now when I see it again I'll know what to do! Thanks again for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook