Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Temperature

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1
    Hello All,

I am new to this forum, and right up front I will say I know very little about physics in general. That does not however limit my ability to question and ask for help from people in the know.

Here is my dilemma. I have a small Fresnel lens approx. 6 cm X 15 cm. Or 90 square centimeters. I would like to know how much power in Watts this is really focusing.

I did a little math under the assumption of each square meter receiving 1000 Watts of solar energy on a sunny day at the equator and came up with about 9 watts of calculated power at the focal point.

This of course is a figure that assumes there is no loss in the system. So to get a better idea of how much power is REALLY at the focal point, I want to make some measurements.

I have a K-Type thermocouple hooked into a meter that can read up to 750 degrees Celsius with moderate accuracy. I’ll place the thermocouple at the focal point. The focal point appears to be about 1 cm in diameter. The diameter of the thermocouple is about half of that.

Is it possible (and if so can I have it explained to me), to calculate how much wattage is at the focal point, by taking a temperature reading over time?

Any help or explanation would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your initial assumption is reasonable- 9 watts. For more accuracy, you need the right tools, and a thermocouple is not it.

Even so, you have the beginnings of an interesting experiment- the power will depend on the atmospheric conditions (air absorption), and since you have some tools, why not do the experiment and see what happens?

However, I would instead focus the light into a (known) volume of water into which the thermocouple is inserted, rather than directly onto the thermocouple. That will give you better stability and accuracy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?