1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on the Hydrogen atom

1. Jul 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use
    [tex][H_{0},r_{j}]=\frac{i\hbar}{\mu}p_{j}[/tex]
    for the Hydrogen atom (where the j's denote the jth components in Cartesian coordinates) to prove that
    [tex]<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|p_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>=-i\mu\omega<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|r_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex][H_{0},r_{j}]=\frac{i\hbar}{\mu}p_{j}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really at a loss on how to begin here. I don't see how I can use the commutator to prove this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2
    Just substitute for [itex]p_{j}[/itex] the communtator [itex][H_{0},r_{j}][/itex]
    [tex]<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|p_{j}|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}> = \frac{\mu}{i\hbar}<n_{f},l_{f},m_{l,f}|[H, r_j]|n_{i},l_{i},m_{l,i}>[/tex]
    and take it from there. Remember that [itex]H[/itex] is Hermitian and what its eigenstates and eigenvalues are.

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    Thanks a lot mathfeel. It took me a while when you mentioned the hermicity of the Hamiltonian, but after staring it down for a straight 5 minutes I felt dumb since it's so obvious, hahaha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook