Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on the influence of inconsistent initial values on solving periodic IVP

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Hello everybody,

I was wondering whether someone has more information on the influence of inconsistant initial conditions on solving a system of ODE's with periodic solutions using a time marching method like a 4th order Runge-Kutta scheme. The phenomenon I am studying is described by a system of 1st order ODE's. I know the system must have a periodic solution, since the motion and environment of the phenomenon are completely periodic. The system of ODE's tells me how the phenomenon evolves, but to solve the system I naturally need an initial condition to start the calculations from. However, I don't know this initial conditions, I can at most guess an approximate initial condition. My question now is: since the solution will have to be periodic, will the influence of inconsistent initial conditions eventually fade out?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Best regards,

Bart B

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted